So great to find this forum.  I just ordered six meters of APA102 144/m

For a large LED project, where “large” means over 500 and certainly if you’re considering thousands of LEDs, the lower cost of the WS2812B LEDs will save you a lot of money. For a large number of WS2812B, FastLED using OctoWS2811 as a driver is the very best solution on the software side. FastLED has better drawing & rendering code than OctoWS2811 alone (and I’m the author of OctoWS8211…)

Yes, I’m talking about larger projects. About 16000 Leds. A friend of mine is ordering some samples in china. He told me, that the pricedifference betweens APA and WS is not so much… Let you know more, if somebody is interested…

@Birk_Schmithusen Did you ever complete this project? I’m looking at using Teensy/OctoWS2811 adapter/APA102 and am wondering if it works well and is a well supported solution. Thanks!

@Tom_Morrow , were you able to wire point-to-point as you originally suggested? What are the minimum pins required to use the OctoWS2811 as a level shift/CAT6 board for the APA102s? From a Teensy3.2, am I missing anything with VIN, GND, 7, & 14? (LED’s powered externally, not powering Octo)

I would like to keep some of the un-needed pins open for other I/O if I can.