Smoothie 5c hangs on power up

OK, will try this evening.

Tried.

With ribbons plugged in one way all I get is back light, no beeper or anything. With them flipped, I get nothing. Completely puzzled to say the least.

Any thoughts about config settings? My existing settings worked fine with the red board display other than the hanging on startup.

One item I ran across when looking through the smoothie site was this reference:

panel.spi_frequency500000 SPI port frequency - some panel need it explicitly set

The forum would not allow me to upload the file, so here is the part concerning the Panel:

Panel

panel.enable true # set to true to enable the panel code

Example for reprap discount GLCD

on glcd EXP1 is to left and EXP2 is to right, pin 1 is bottom left, pin 2 is top left etc.

+5v is EXP1 pin 10, Gnd is EXP1 pin 9

panel.lcd reprap_discount_glcd #

10/24 start of uncommented for K40-S

panel.spi_channel 0 # spi channel to use ; GLCD EXP1 Pins 3,5 (MOSI, SCLK)
panel.spi_cs_pin 0.16 # spi chip select ; GLCD EXP1 Pin 4
panel.encoder_a_pin 3.25!^ # encoder pin ; GLCD EXP2 Pin 3
panel.encoder_b_pin 3.26!^ # encoder pin ; GLCD EXP2 Pin 5
panel.click_button_pin 1.30!^ # click button ; GLCD EXP1 Pin 2
panel.buzz_pin 1.31 # pin for buzzer ; GLCD EXP1 Pin 1
panel.back_button_pin 2.11!^ # back button ; GLCD EXP2 Pin 8

#end of uncommented for K40-S

pins used with other panels

#panel.up_button_pin 0.1! # up button if used
#panel.down_button_pin 0.0! # down button if used
#panel.click_button_pin 0.18! # click button if used

panel.menu_offset 1 # some panels will need 1 here

panel.alpha_jog_feedrate 6000 # x jogging feedrate in mm/min
panel.beta_jog_feedrate 6000 # y jogging feedrate in mm/min
panel.gamma_jog_feedrate 200 # z jogging feedrate in mm/min

panel.hotend_temperature 185 # temp to set hotend when preheat is selected
panel.bed_temperature 60 # temp to set bed when preheat is selected

Custom menus : Example of a custom menu entry, which will show up in the Custom entry.

NOTE _ gets converted to space in the menu and commands, | is used to separate multiple commands

custom_menu.power_on.enable true #
custom_menu.power_on.name Power_on #
custom_menu.power_on.command M80 #

custom_menu.power_off.enable true #
custom_menu.power_off.name Power_off #
custom_menu.power_off.command M81 #

By ā€œflippedā€ you mean ā€œrotated 180 degreesā€ ( which requires either removing the tab, or removing/replacing the connector shield ), not just ā€œswapped aroundā€, right?

Do you have a voltmeter?

Correct. I cut the index tab from the connector shells.

Yes, several as well as a small collection of lab scopes. They seem to multiply when you are not lookingā€¦

:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Please use the voltmeter to check that GND5V are on the pins you expect them to be.

Well I pulled the controller out of the laser so it would be easy to work on. This is what I saw when I powered up the board. Took a couple of tries and then it came up and displayed correctly. Sometimes the whole screen was snow. In all cases pressing the encoder button would produce beeps

When it came up normally I saw this:

As far as your voltage test, 4.96 to 4.98 volts at the display board. Power to the controller is a 24v 1.1A supply set to 21v

Still wondering about a firmware flash for the smoothie?

About firmware:

• You should always flash the very latest firmware, and example config file ( port your values over to the new config file, one by one, it must be as close as possible to the most recent config )
  • Thereā€™s close to zero chance the firmware is the cause

Thereā€™s a small chance this might be current-related. Can you input >2A 5V power ( effectively bypassing the voltage regurator ) to the main 5V input on the board ( close to VBB ) ?

1.1A is much much too low for the 24 side. please try using another, more powerful ( in current/A ) power supply.

Also try powering the board with 5V power, but no 24v power at all, just disconnect that ).

Can you please upload a video to youtube showing the lcd when it wooks, and the smoothie4 status leds at the same time, in the same frame?

Will flash and set up Config file tonight or tomorrow.

When I first had issues with the white display, the Smoothie was still in the laser, the power supply was a 24v 5 or 6 amp unit.

When the Smoothie was first installed in the laser I had a 5v 3A supply wired in and I had not installed the onboard 5V regulator. I removed the separate 5V supply and added the official regulator when the machine had its booting issues (with red display)

Actually there are two of these setups doing the very same thing. A friend also got a Smoothie from the eBay vendor as well. he is also using the Uberclock adapter & white display.

He has been powering his unit on the bench with a 5v 3 amp supply with the same results.

Let me flash and re-do the firmware and Config file. I will use the example config that is on the GitHub site and make the changes to match my machine.

If I still have issues I will video the display and status LEDs. BTW, when the new display fails to come up correctly I have normal LED activity.

FYI; my display sometimes boots up with garbage. Its always done such ā€¦ for years!

I wonā€™t consider this fixed until late in the week. But, so far so goodā€¦

I flashed the board with the latest from the site.

I also took the GitHub Config file and walked through it line by line and brought it inline with my working config file I have been using for the last 6 months or so.

There were a number of settings included in my original that did not show in the GitHub version or were not applicable to my system. I removed these. The config I started with came from another person who had converted a K40 to a Smoothie based board, Cohesion I believe.

Upon bench testing this it took 3-4 cold boots to get the display to come up, at all or not garbled. I was using a 24v 6.5 amp supply at this time. Once it came up correctly, it failed to mess up from then on.

Next step was to install in the machine. At this point I had issues with the display not coming up and removing the ribbon cables in the machine which were 16" long and replacing them with the shorter cables included with the displays (I own two of the white board units) got it working.

So far, 10 or more starts, the display comes up and the unit runs fine.

The only issue left to deal with is the encoder knob needs to be reversed. I just canā€™t get used to the way it is set.

Art, I appreciate all the help and most especially the patience you have with me.

2 Likes

Really glad you got it working.

I also hate the reversed encoder knob. How does one reverse it?

exchange the a and b pins in config.

1 Like

Thanks Arthur! This has been driving me nuts for yearsā€¦lol
Should have asked a long time ago.

1 Like

I am going to consider this fixed. I have booted the machine 4-5 times each on Monday and today and a mess of times on Sunday.

No problems.

BTW the improvement in the performance and smoothness of cuts is amazing. Looking forward to Smoothie V2 when it ships. For right now all the Wee-Ird-Ness of the machine is gone and it no longer freezes mid cut forcing me to reboot.

Wish this board was available for a sane price when I was doing the conversion last year. Uberclock out of stock and eBay/Amazon only had them for crazy prices when I was shopping.

I might just take the Sbase borad out and smash teh crap out of it or shoot it just to get my satisfaction. If I do, there will be a videoā€¦

Once again, thanks!

3 Likes

One last updateā€¦

All problems with the laser have been put to rest. I have had zero issues with getting the controller started and have never had any hangs/freezing/irregularities.

I have put the laser to considerable use since my last post and it has behaved itself. In the meantime I obtained and installed a Lightburn camera and that has helped quite a bit with positioning work. I highly recommend the camera and LightBurn software.

Once again thank you all for your help and patienceā€¦

2 Likes