Since upgrading the controller on the laser cutter to use laserweb and GRBL,

Since upgrading the controller on the laser cutter to use laserweb and GRBL, we’ve been working on making a good solid project box for the controller. Its in a woodshop, so we wanted something enclosed and filtered. The box is sold as something you could mount outside, so its even waterproof. I’m only in the shop about 4 hours a week, so progress is slow, but it looks pretty cool to me. The third photo shows the DIN rail in the centre. You can see the standoffs we will use to hold the smoothieboard, too.

One thing about this project: The prices on commercial CNC systems is starting to make sense to me. A common rule of thumb is that if you can buy all the parts for a thing for X dollars, you need to sell it for about 3X to cover assembly, support, etc.This project box cost $150CAD, and all the connectors, DIN rails and DIN accessories cost almost another 150 . 300 bucks, and we have not installed any electronics yet… So a comercial CNC system would be charging 1000 bucks for just this little effort, nevermind the CNC machine itself…