Since I have a new machine in the works,

Since I have a new machine in the works, I ended up borrowing some parts from the OX, and it’s going to be rebuilt as big as I can make it for use with plasma, possible router as well. My plan is to use double 1500mm C-beam for the X axis with double belts, unless someone could point me in the direction of a 1500mm lead screw. Single 1500mm v-rail for the Y’s, with no cross members, mounted to table.

The stock OX plates just won’t work for this design, so new plates will be in order. I’m not great at fusion360, I can usually muddle my way through and get what I want, but I figured I would check in with the group to see if anyone has already made up a plate like this or close to it.

I know this is pushing the limit of the ox’s design, but I’m always finding I need a little more room then I want. Damn this machine building addiction.

If you mount the y rails to the side of the table like I did you can use the stock gantry plates, just measure and mark the holes for the cbeam in the plates and drill on a drill press or use a hand power drill. http://www.openbuilds.com/builds/lfox-large-format-ox-deriviative-designed-and-built-by-revision-13-prototypes.3496/

@Mark_Leino well sir, you’ve dove in to making new plates and they look a great success. Would advise designing your own. In my opinion, it’s a goal to draft well. With your machine as your tool, you simply need to put your thoughts on paper, or rather CAD. Creating the new plates will make you work inside all major parts of manufacturing. I’ll happily help you with a template based off the R7 files.

You should rather use 3x 2080 for your X and use 1610 or 2010 ballscrews. 8mm lead is too small for the span. Belts stretch too much.

well i have 3 20*80 v rail and 2 c beams, so i could go either way, the c-beam seems stronger in torsion than the v rail. The v-rail seems possible to maybe reuse the plates.

I don’t see the issue. The hope spacings are the same

Doubled up 40x80 c beam is 80x80, I don’t think I could even find bolts that long for the gantry plates. Not to mention it would have a lot of flex I think. I’m leaning towards trying to have two separate c beams, with the router traveling between them with custom plates

Interesting idea @Mark_Leino

Bad idea. You always want access to the Z and spindle. 2 2080 with a
support will be fine.

@Julius_Jahn I read somewhere you had a seller (on ebay I think?) Who custom made ballscrews for you? I’m trying find 3 ~1550mm lead screws with end supports and nuts. Found some on ebay, but shipping is almost as much as the parts themselves.