Silicone solder mat

As usual, bored and cruising Amazon when I came across this. You know the rest!

1 Like

Is it anti-static? I use an anti-static rubber mat for anything static-sensitive. Usually if it is anti-static it will have a ground strap.

Its silicon how could that be anti-static??

Then I found this one for $4.79:

Oh and then it fell into my amazon cart… thanks @HalfNormal

1 Like

@donkjr Your welcome as usual! :wink:

@mcdanlj
It is a yes/no kinda sorta answer as to if it is ESD safe.

The short answer is no. If you are doing ESD work then an ESD mat is recommended on top of the silicone. They do have ESD silicone mats but that is a whole different topic.

If you search the engineering forums, they are pretty much divided 50/50 on if the charge on the silicone is quickly or slowly discharged and if the charge itself is even enough to cause damage. Different people have had varying degrees of issues/non-issues using the mat with or without ESD protection. Bottom line, unless you are absolutely sure you will not damage your electronics not using ESD protection on a silicone mat, then use it.

My use case is that I can use my heat gun on it, disassemble small items and not loose screws and put my soldering iron down without thinking of where it is. If I am going to be working on electronics, I will use my small ESD mat as usual.

2 Likes

As far as I know, the same way that rubber or vinyl can be anti-static; by adding something to it so that instead of a great insulator it’s a high-value resistor.

1 Like

So thanks to @HalfNormal my electronics bench is much prettier and my bank account is a little emptier.

2 Likes

Ok then…
I use silly putty to hold parts on circuit boards for soldering… yes it is SILLY!

Guess what;

SILLY PUTTY STICKS TO SILICON LIKE WHITE ON RICE.

ESPECIALLY SILICON MATS…
… what a friggin mess …

Alcohol worked… thank god.

3 Likes

Heh, it’s a lot like the self-amalgamating tape that came up a month or so ago…

2 Likes

Hmmm…hadn’t thought about that before, but I’m not surprised since silly putty is like 65% dimethylsiloxane. Falls under the old chemistry adage “Like Dissolves Like”, or in this case “Like Sticks to Like”.

2 Likes

Live and learn!

1 Like

Here is my mat in all its glory! Yes I staged it for the picture.
silicone mat

3 Likes