Settings for 3 thermocouples

I need to be able to control 3 high power SSRs and was looking at starting with the base settings that came on the card apparently configured for a 3D printer.

To get a second one working it looks like I can just uncomment out the temperature_control.hotend2 entries.

For a 3rd, do I just create similar temperature_control.hotend3 settings? Or?

Imported from wikidot

Hmm well I just enabled the example 2nd hotend variables and she won’t boot like that. Pretty discouraging for a beginner with the examples don’t work.

How does one trouble shoot the config file?

Can you show us your config file ?

Sure. It is what came on the flash card I only uncommented the 2nd hot end stepper motor and heater vars.

Ugh - it says my karma is too low to paste the file here (guess its because it has urls).

Its at http: glassprinted dot com slash smoothie_config.txt

I don’t see anything wrong. Would you mind starting back again from the original config example, and just enabling things one by one and checking every time ?

Weird huh? Its a virgin board - haven’t touched her other than plugging in the USB.

OK but will have to do it later.

I don’t even need the 2nd hotend stepper configured but I uncommented it because I thought I might need to for the 2nd hotend temperature control to work. Does it?

Well the code works, but we need to figure out what’s up in your case. Activating things one by one will help.

I understand the line by line thing.

I was asking if I need the 2nd hot end stepper motor enabled to enable the 2nd hotend temperature controller. Please advise.

Hmm - well it was assigned a new IP address so actually it does boot. But the web page for the board is blank as soon as I try to enable the 2nd hotend temperature sensor (with or without enabling the 2nd extruder stepper). Its the same config file posted above.

Does the web interface work for you with the 2nd hot end enabled?

image is online at www dot glassprinted dot com slash smoothieBlank.png

Also, please advise how to add a 3rd hot end (obviously I will get the 2nd working first). Or instead, is it possible to use a thermocouple for the heated bed temperature sensor?

Hmm - well it was assigned a new IP address so actually it does boot. But the web page for the board is blank as soon as I try to enable the 2nd hotend temperature sensor (with or without enabling the 2nd extruder stepper). Its the same config file posted above.

That is extremely odd. It’s known to work fine for others, I have no clue what’s going on here.

Does the computer you are using have internet access ? Can you try another browser ?

Why would it work in my browser with one enabled and not two? I *highly* doubt it is my web browser but I will try more and report if anything works. I have internet access and don’t have any network issues.

OK - so apparently I just have to wait several minutes for the web interface to come up. Surprised it takes that long - anyways not a problem now that I know to just wait.

The problem now is that even though I have the example 2nd hotend enabled (stepper and sensor) it only shows one heater on the web interface. See screenshot at

www dot glassprinted dot com slash SmoothieOnlyOneHotend.png

How do I make it so additional hotends show up?

P.S. apparently it might not take that long to boot up the web interface its just that its buggy. Sometimes it loads - other times it doesn’t. Same network terminal and cable I use regularly with my iMac no problems.

The web interface should just load instantly, it’s very small. But it loads dependencies over the internet. It might be good to try emptying your cache and trying again, that could help.

About dual hotends in the web interface, that is not supported by it at the moment.

“Get temperature” will return temperature for both, but the “hotend” set temperature thing, will only work on the “currently active” hotend.

You can change the currently active hotend by sending “T0” and “T1” like the slicer does using the manual command prompt.

The web interface is extremely basic, there is a much more complete one in the works, but it’s not ready yet.

It loads what over the internet? Anyways I am on a very solid internet connection. I have absolutely zero connection or network problems and the web interface loads sometimes and not always. I have tried from multiple computers - same thing. Emptying cache does nothing to help.

It loads javascript libraries like jquery etc over the internet.

I’m not saying you have internet connection problems, it’s just that some users have had similar problems and emptying the cache helped.