Sculpfun S9

Are there recommendations for using Laserweb with my Sculpfun S9?

Not really;

afik it is a pretty standard 2-axis mini-grbl controller; so I’d start with the generic GRBL config from the settings menu, and then adapt for the actual machine size. It should be pretty straightforward.

2 Likes

While I’ve done plenty of 3D printing, I just recently got a Sculpfun S9. I tried a couple different apps to drive it, and had to chase down one small issue with Laserweb. It was connecting to the S9 just fine and the laser carriage seemed to be moving correctly, but the laser did not turn on. I compared the Laserweb gcode with some code created by a different app that DID work. All of the S instructions created by Laserweb had values less than one. The code that worked had S values in the hundreds.

In Settings → Gcode there are settings for the range of PWM values for the laser. I set the Min at 0 and the Max at 1000. Works perfectly now. So if I set laser power at 50%, Laserweb would have sent an S value of .5 with the default settings. It now sends 500 and it works. I have confirmed these settings with the Sculpfun “manual” at https://www.sculpfun3d.com/newsinfo/591996.html

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing your experience!

If the default of PWM MAX S VALUE was 1, then you probably used the “Generic SMOOTHIE machine” profile and not the “Generic GRBL machine”. In the “Generic GRBL machine” profile, the PWM MAX S VALUE is 1000 (HINT: this value should match the controller setting of $30).

2 Likes

@cprezzi - Nope. Definitely used Generic GRBL. Could the default setting be different in the Mac version? I dunno. Anyway, problem solved and off to the next project!

Hm, I checked it on the Mac version (Frontend 4.0.999 / Backend 4.1.000) and got max S 1000 when I applied the GRBL profile. Eventually it was different in another version.

Hey that’s great!