Scope Recomendations

Looking for recomendations on a sub $200 osciliscope for hobby use.

I’m assuming DSO, otherwise you’d just be hunting used old scopes on ebay?

The only way you get under $200 in a DSO is with fairly low bandwidth AFAICT.

I ended up with a Rigol 1074 — 70Mhz, 4 channel. It was maybe $375 when I bought it? Looks like prices have gone up a little bit, now that gets you the 50Mhz 1054 instead. But if you are hunting for transients, low bandwidth is going to give you false negatives. I’ve been glad many times that I didn’t get a 2-channel. I rarely use all four, but 3 isn’t that unusual.

That doesn’t give you sub $200. But to get there you really have to specify what you are willing to trade off.

Still out of your price range, but closer, 2 channel 100MS/s USB scope with lots of other features:

1 Like

Not what I wanted to hear. I guess I will need to up my price range a little to get something decent. Thanks for the info.

Here’s a good thread where someone asked about $200-$250 range and I see someone recommended the Analog Discovery 2 there too… :slight_smile:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/really-cheap-oscilloscope-recommendation/

1 Like

Nothing in the sub $200 price range but Rigol scopes are good.

Unless you go with a handheld but they are typically really limited on bandwidth. This one is only 1MHz.

Ebay is probably your best bet. Found this guy, current bid is $32.

2 Likes

These are over your budget but very impressive multi-instrument devices.
Worth it considering the cost of all the instruments.
If I had it to do over I would value this over my Rigol.

https://www.keysight.com/en/pcx-2759552/infiniivision-1000-x-series-oscilloscopes?&cc=US&lc=eng

1 Like

Was there supposed to be a link in your post?

1 Like

Uggh, I was travelling and I really miss the G+ mobile app. The Discourse one is really useless.

Added the link above…

Skip the mobile app. Just use your browser

I don’t know what you mean by multi-instrument device. Looks like just an o-scope to me.

A bunch of the scopes described there, like a lot of the DSO competition these days, have functions like sig gen, protocol decode, etc. I think that’s the intent.

I guess. Those are all pretty standard features on scopes these days. Well, all but the function gen.

Function gen I have. Very basic one, but good enough for my needs.

1 Like

Multi-functions

• WaveGen built-in 20 MHz function generator (standard with EDUX1002G, DSOX1102G, and DSOX1204G)
  • Serial protocol analyzer – triggering and decode (with additional software)
  • Digital voltmeter (free at www.keysight.com/find/1000X-Series-DVM)
  • Frequency counter
  • Frequency response analyzer - Bode plot (standard with EDUX1002G, DSOX1102G, and DSOX1204G)

Like I said, pretty standard stuff these days, but I guess that qualifies it as multi-instrument.