SBC with a lot of features, will run Linux and Android and is cheap! $7.99

@donkjr I am talking to you! :grinning:

4 Likes

2 Likes

I think this is list of distros supported for it:

https://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/ROCK64_Software_Release

2 Likes

@donkjr I bought two to play with.

I’d definitely have bought some, but shipping to Oz is more than double the price of a single item. Then with currency conversion would’ve ended up not such a great deal here, damned shame. Thanks for the heads up @donkjr .

Well I was able to open the package today and can verify that it is an Pine board. It has a 16GB Sandisk card too. I went to reorder more but surprise! They are no more. :sob:

rb

Installed and fired up LibreELEC(KODI) and it was very responsive. Will have to play with an Android install and see how it goes.

Android was a bust but I am running Debain 8 bionic and so far it is actually very snappy. I am running a HDMI to DVI adapter with a resolution of 1920 x 1200. Chromium runs snappy and I was able to open a news feed with a realtime video feed with very little lag. Running wired 1 Gig Ethernet.

Not sure what I will use this for but it has a lot of possibilities.

2 Likes

Run Win10 and drive my CNC with it using chillipepper?

I do not see why that would not work.

Printed a case for the SBC

2 Likes

New price for the next batch, it seems:

1 Like

Uggh … I haven’t done this for a while so before I research it.
Help, I am sure someone just knows … How do I get windows 10 on this?

Unfortunately you cannot load Windows on it. It is an ARM chip and is only good for Linux distros. You can buy what’s known as an atomic pi and it will handle windows.

1 Like

That is still a bargain. It is selling for about $25 on the pine website without a power supply or SD card.

2 Likes

Thanks, @HalfNormal that is a good deal. I am now just wondering if I should just repurpose my laptop to my cnc stuff.

2 Likes

I hope you purchased one when they were available. Hackaday has a tear down article on the SBC and a link to the Amazon page. I am sure they will be out for some time.

They are now $30.00! I know I should have bought more when they were $7.99!

2 Likes

$30.00 is a bargain compared to the current prices of the Raspberry Pis. rPi’s are selling for over $149 for 3 b+ because of supply shortages which have been going on for 3+ weeks.

1 Like