Sam Guyer Yves BAZIN does FastLED on ESP32 support 16 lines of output in

@Sam_Guyer @Yves_BAZIN does FastLED on ESP32 support 16 lines of output in Sam’s default tree now, or is it still a custom tree for Yves as of now?

As I understand it, and I could be wrong…

@Yves_BAZIN 's fork will run 16 strips of LEDs in parallel. But you have to use null pixels of running over 8 strips. I use this fork on my umbrella with 12 strips and null pixels. It works a treat.

@Sam_Guyer 's fork will run 8 strips in parallel, no null pixels needed. I use this fork on my trees and it also works a treat. I understand that it now supports more than 8 strips but sends the data out 8 strips at a time, so not quite parallel. I haven’t tested this new functionality yet.

Thanks. Sorry, but what are null pixels? If I have 64x64 with 16 strips of 256 LEDs, do I need null pixels?

@Marc_MERLIN Yes you’ll need 16, either an extra single pixel that you hide so it can’t be seen or one of these with no led on it. I used these on my brolly.

The mapping on my brolly was a little tricky to set up as each strip covers two ribs, so there’s a null pixel on every other rib, but it works really well now :slight_smile:

So, @Yves_BAZIN , I should use your ESP32 fork for 16 lines of output instead of @Sam_Guyer 's ESP32 tree (which has more updates and fixes from what I saw)?

@Marc_MERLIN Hello @Marc_MERLIN I did not work on my fork (I haven’t corrected the first led blinking issue) for a while so I would go for @Sam_Guyer 's one if you don"t need the full speed of 16 output)

@Yves_BAZIN Ah, bummer… I’m considering a 64x64 array, so that would be 16 strings of 256 LEDs, giving me just around 100fps and dithering.
If I must go down to 8 strings, I can and will, but that would be a bit of a shame :slight_smile:
Is the main problem with your fork that the first LED of each string, blinks?
@Sam_Guyer any chance you can add 16 string support, or it’s kind of hard?

@Marc_MERLIN It can handle 16 strips, but it does 8 at a time. In other words, 16 strips takes the same time as two in series (assuming they are all the same length)

@Sam_Guyer yeah, got it, thanks. That’s unfortunately equivalent to only supporting 8 in parallel (parallel is what I care about to keep the fps up). Hopefully Yves’ 16 parallel support can be made production eventually?

@Marc_MERLIN We should think about a way to do that. Maybe a compile-time switch. @Yves_BAZIN do you mind if I take your code and try to fold it in?

That would be sweet, I would indeed prefer using ESP32 over teensy with which I have too many problems, but I’ll take whatever chip will give me more fps :slight_smile:

@Sam_Guyer I will clean up the code of the new version. But I still have this first led issue. I need to find why. I will certainly start with a clean version of the library and implement my changes step by step and see where it fails.

@Marc_MERLIN hello Mark I have made good progress the flickering is almost gone. :wink: of course if you do not activate WiFi you have no issue already. Second the answer came because of another project where I noticed ground noise on a speaker plugged to my esp when the WiFi was on. Anyway I keep you posted of my progress

@Yves_BAZIN cool, thanks. For now, my own project will not be using Wifi, so that will probably make my life a bit easier. Timing critical code, interrupts, and dual core, can yield interesting results.

@Marc_MERLIN ok so with the current version you can use 16pin without issue of the first led

@Yves_BAZIN Oh, that’s great news. I’ll probably be building my 64x64 array next week, so that’s great timing. @Sam_Guyer will also be interested in your updated tree so that he can merge your support with whatever extra fixes and changes he’s made since you forked his tree.

@Yves_BAZIN so, for 16 lines in parallel, is it ok to use 4 cat-5 cables, and connect 4 lines at a time in twisted pairs with ground? Is that enough to avoid crosstalk between the 4 data lines within an ethernet cable?
I’ll have a different cable bringing a thicker ground and Vcc to each set of strips.

@Marc_MERLIN exactly so you will need 4 Ethernet wires for the 16 data linesmissing/deleted image from Google+

@Yves_BAZIN yes, that’s the same math I came up with :slight_smile:

@Yves_BAZIN Hello! how do you replace WiFi with esp32? Can I get it to work with ethernet? I have been trying for a long time to solve the problem with the blinking of the diodes, therefore, I missed a lot. (