@Carlton_Dodd yes, there was a real flame inside my box emanating from that driver. Hindsight is that I didn’t down adjust the trimpots when upgrading to 24v. I think that’s the cause of the fire.
As for d1 resistor, it is removed in at least three of my dead boards, some of these are historical failures.
The white board failed due to resistive overheating on the heated bed connector from a poor connection and poor design of the rostock max. (The ramps mounts on the door so all the wires get jiggled when inspecting things)
The middle board failed because I overheated the traces in my extended attempts to install blade fuses. (Yeah yeah, 500c is too hot… yadda yadda)
The third one probably still works now that I’ve replaced the bed heater mosfet but I tossed it aside while trouble shooting the y not working. In the end it turned out that my fire on the extruder driver blew out the mega output pins that control extruder zero. I switched my firmware to use ext1 instead and all is well.
Only one of those boards has d1.