Router Plane

I scored this No.71 router plane from a friend downsizing his shop… used by his father or grandfather.

Had original box and instructions … perfect condition.

I was tempted to put this in the CNC Router category but I haven’t found out how to load G-code into this thing

???

8 Likes

Take it apart. I am sure you will find a USB port somewhere!

LMAO! :rofl:

Seriously though, an original Stanley router plane?!? WOW! I remember my dad telling me how Stanley was the gold standard for many tools. Take care of it and that thing will probably last forever. A true relic from the time when tools made in America were meant to last a lifetime!

2 Likes

YouTube has a few really interesting on the history or Stanley.
After watching them I started collecting old Stanley tools.

There’s something satisfying about using a really sharp hand plane…

2 Likes

YouTube has a few really interesting on the history or Stanley.
After watching them I started collecting old Stanley tools.

I’ve always called their utility knife a ‘Stanley Knife’, since that’s what my dad called them. I was in my 30’s before I finally realised that any time someone (often American) said ‘boxcutter’ they were really talking about Stanley knives. Go figure…

The right one is a box cutter… This one is from the 70s which I used while working through highschool at a grocery store.

The left one is a Stanley cutter. Not sure if this one is from my tools as a kid or if I picked it up in the 80s after moving cross country.

1 Like

I’d call the left one a utility knife generally. If someone said “box cutter” I’d generally picture the one on the left too. Never had a term for the right one until now. Thanks!
(American if you’d like to know)

Then there is the Stanley knife used by many woodworkers as a marking knife:

And of course some people clean their CNC’s with a Vacuum cleaner, but I use a Hoover :wink:

I love how language, especially names for things, evolves over time and distance.

I use shop vac! :slight_smile:

2 Likes