Repurposing 3D printer for candy-making

Turns out that when the printer isn’t spitting out plastic, there are other uses for a heated bed. If you can dry filament on a heated bed, you can dry colored sugar too! (After I took the picture, I put the box that I taped together for filament drying over the sugar cups.) hacks

Huh, I never thought of that. My wife is always doing odd things to dry her felted hats. I can now suggest that she use one of my printers (if it’s not in use).

I’ve used my print bed to dry glue and enamel paint when it’s cold and wet outside. Works quite well.

Did this again, this time with better-tasting flavors.

We decided not to get any cotton candy at the fair. Instead, when we got home, we made four flavors of sugar:

1. Raspberry-vanilla (commercial raspberry flavor, home-made vamilla extract)
  2. Coffee (home-made coffee extract)
  3. Cinnamon (home-made cinnamon extract)
  4. Anise (commercial anise flavor)

Then we put the sugar on the 3D printer and set the bed heat to 45⁰C for a few hours, stirring occasionally, until the sugar was quite dry.

We used the backs of spoons and ceramic bowls as mortar-and-pestle sets to crush the sugar, and then made cotton candy. All four flavors were surprisingly good (definitely better than the synthetic normal flavors) and everyone had their favorites, including some mixes like cinnamon-anise and cinnamon-coffee.

I used the same box for drying the sugar as last time, over a year ago.

1 Like