Released a project I've been working on for the last two months in my

Released a project I’ve been working on for the last two months in my spare time. Slicerhub is a framework to power server based slicing of 3D models for 3D printing. It basically allows a server to handle slicing slicing models in a task queue fashion (while also spawning multiple workers who slice in parallel other jobs). Full code on github. BSD license. Read my blog post for more information. @foosel @Mark_Moissette_ckaos I’d love to have a chat about how to integrate this with your respective projects (Octoprint and CoffeeSCAD). If anyone is interested in following progress more closely circle me for minor updates. Major ones will come to the development channel.

http://savorywatt.com/2013/03/10/introducing-slicerhub/

@Ross_Hendrickson This looks amazing, I’ll definitely see how we two can play together :slight_smile: Will see if I can give it a test drive today.

@Ross_Hendrickson you beat me to the punch (or rather, saved me the trouble :slight_smile: I can’t wait to check it out :slight_smile:

@foosel thanks. It is still really rough but trying to release early, often. Hope to get a lot more done this next week.

@Jason_Gullickson the more the merrier! Hit me up with what you were thinking / maybe a use case or two and maybe it can guide development. This project is for the community after all.

Will do! What are you using under the hood, and existing slicer engine or something new from scratch?

The design allows multiple slicers to be used. So you could write something that wraps Cura. Right now it wraps just Slic3r.

So you can add a job saying I want X slicer at X version to slice X models using X config

Nice, I was just planning to wrap Slic3r as well. I got hung-up on how I wanted to handle callbacks and maintain the simplicity of a stateless service design.

The cool thing is that my primary motivation for creating the service was to use it for another project so I’m excited to see what you’ve got and start applying it! :slight_smile:

Yeah, I mainly do dev work in App Engine so I tried to come up with a solution outside of GAE that was ‘similar’. IE Task queuing for async processing updating state post process, using a noSQL DB etc. I started with Slic3r and I’m hoping to add more to make it more robust and give people more options for what they want to use. If you need any help/have questions don’t hesitate to ask.

@Ross_Hendrickson
Finally got to check this out ! Great work !
I might have some “suggestions” for the auth part , but will check out your code in more details first:)
And same as @foosel I can see this being integrated in @CoffeeSCad :wink:
(yay, we got all 3 steps : design, slice, print :wink:

@Mark_Moissette_ckaos Thanks so much, I’d love to hear thoughts on auth (was planning on something OAuth2.0-ish, public/private keys with encryption). All three steps was the plan. I saw your work and Gina’s and just saw this hole that needed to be filled. Hoping to get a minor update out Sunday.