Recently, I realized that I can actually print faster with .15mm layers than with

Recently, I realized that I can actually print faster with .15mm layers than with .2mm layers on most prints because the big limiting factor for print speed is the infill, and .15mm layers are thin enough that with a .35mm nozzle, I can do infill ever two layers. So with .15mm layers instead of .2mm, I spend 1/3 more time printing perimeters, but spend 1/3 less time printing infill.

good point

And the thinner the layer the faster you can print because less plastic is going through the hotend. Meaning that you can raise your infill speed even further when you go to 0.15 than when printing at 0.2mm. Which can buy you some additional speedup. Right?

How are you able to skip the infill every other layer?

With Slic3r @Ken_Knapp

That’s what I get for not checking all the options in Slic3r before posting :smiley:

@Ken_Knapp that is a Slic3r super feature. Just be sure that your layer height is at most 0.5nozzle_diameter :slight_smile: The optimal value is layer_height <= 0.4nozzle_diameter

Thanks I’ll have to try this out on my next print on my i3

Does slic3r automatically increase the flow rate on the infill when it’s done every other layer? I’d thought you needed to use SF to get such a Skin-module like effect.

Ok, if it increases the flow rate, then my comment about increasing the infill speed does not make sense :frowning:

@Sanjay_Mortimer Ok, then I’m trying that out right now, thanks! :slight_smile: