Quick question: Is it possible to get ESP8266 to work with a grbl based

Quick question:

Is it possible to get ESP8266 to work with a grbl based control board? I’ve got a controller as attached and it has provision to connect to a simple bluetooth-to-serial bridge. If instead I connect a properly configured ESP8266 will it work with Laserweb?

(Note: I am aware about the voltage level conversion requirements as well as the +3.3V requirements for the ESP8266 so I am just asking from a software interface perspective - as in does a smoothie board do anything special from a software standpoint to support ESP8266 or is it just replacing the serial connection from being hardwired to being over wifi)

My Cohesion3D ReMix has an ESP8266 on it. The ESP just acts as a serial bridge, running ESP-Link

And that just goes to the Tx and Rx lines like in the Bluetooth module of your pic. But as you’ve correctly identified the ESP runs on 3.3v.

Great, thanks Ray. I will try this out tonight.

Do you find it is stable? Does it perform as well as hardwired serial? Any gotchas?

I was actually talking about this implementation:

Anyway, I got it working but theres a lot of pauses and stuttering. I don’t think it’s ready for prime time OR there’s an inherent limitation.

I’ll test out esplink

Got esp-link working to the point that I can either telnet directly to it and issue gcode commands manualy, or talk over a a virtual com port having set up a tcp->com redirector using socat. However, I can’t figure out how to set it up such that Laserweb can actually see the port (or socket if possible). Any tips?