Quick (but not so short) overview of how I modded that pushbutton:

Quick (but not so short) overview of how I modded that pushbutton:

Firstly I had to cut it open with a pair of snips, meaning it will need to be glued. Then I unclipped the button actuator, leaving an empty housing and a pile of parts.

Next, I spent about three days trying to reassemble the little switch mechanism into one piece to be inserted later on (they are guaranteed to explode across the room the first time you open them but never after that…) Because of this stage I’d recommend NOT trying this unless you are extremely good at manipulating tiny pieces of metal and solving puzzles at the same time.

I had to file down the top of the LED (5mm through-hole NeoPixel from Adafruit by the way), being careful to not go right down to the electronics. This is because the switch is designed for the height of a 3mm LED but NeoPixels don’t come in that package.

Next I carefully soldered a few pieces of enameled copper wire, just over the length of the whole button, onto the LED’s pins. I bent the pins out sideways in alternate pairs, then downwards after a small length, then I threaded the two pairs of wires through the two holes where the original white LED’s pins went. Then I soldered color-coded wires onto the other ends of the copper wires, while I could still see which wire went to which pin on the LED.

I clipped the actuator back into the housing, over the LED, and checked that it could be pushed in by a good distance. Unfortunately I had to remove the rubber membrane from the housing as it was ripped by a solder joint, but this doesn’t have much of an effect on the final result.

The final stage was to reinsert the switch mechanism. This initially seemed easy, but the actuator didn’t actually seem to do anything. It took about four attempts (of exactly the same thing, just need to get lucky) to insert. After I managed to get the device into one piece and the button operating correctly, I checked the switch action with a multimeter and then checked the LED with an Arduino loaded with a FastLED example sketch.

I have yet to find suitable glue to hold it all together, but the friction around the snipped attachment points seemed to be temporarily enough in my case.

Did you do this with a momentary or latching button? I’ve been tempted to make a small pcb for some of the rubber clicky switches adafruit sells instead of the touch panel that I used for an install

@Jarrod_Wagner I used a momentary switch, mainly because I’m using them for digital inputs rather than direct power control, but also because latching switches are even more of a pain to reassemble.