question...I am having some issues with getting the nema17 motor i am adding to

question…I am having some issues with getting the nema17 motor i am adding to my reprap as a second extruder, to work properly (reprap huxley, Ramps 1.4 with Marlin firmware, pronterface). E0 works properly but E1 only spins in one direction. everything else is fine; both heaters heat properly and the temp is good. could it be because the motor is different than the existing nema14’s i already have? or could it possibly be some configuration i have overlooked? any insights are appreciated. cheers.

just swapped the E1 and E0 driver boards (both a4988’s) and the one i had for the second extruder is now making the 1st extruder malfunction so its most likely the driver board, but i dont know if it just hasnt been set up properly or if it is fried in some way.

If you remove the 2nd extruder board entirely, and then revert the settings to only use one extruder, does it still malfunction?

i can still run the previous extruder and hotend even with 2 extruders set up in the firmware. ive narrowed it down to the stepper board because i swapped it out (instead of E1 its in E0) and it does the same thing, regardless of which motor is plugged into it. so i might need to buy a new stepper driver, UNLESS there is some technique i dont know about for fixing this issue. the stepper driver is an A4988 i bought on ebay. here it is http://www.ebay.com/itm/221694943952?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Does E1 work with the board that was originally in E0?

yes.

Kk, definitely the board then. I just didn’t know if it was broken before or if something might have caused it.

i just ordered it a couple of weeks ago. i will see if i can get a replacemnt.

Things to check: Do you have all the jumpers in place underneath the driver board for the type of micro stepping you’re using? Also, take a multimeter to ground and to the top of the voltage regulator on the driver board and see if the voltage is consistent between the two?

@Colin_Faulkingham borrowed a new stepper driver and the fault was there. just ordered some new ones and am borrowing a working one until then. problem solved :slight_smile: