Question for anyone that knows:

Question for anyone that knows: Can I take this image directly into CorelDraw & straight output to the laser cutter/engraver? Or do I need to convert to grayscale? Or even do I have to basically redraw as outlines?

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

c5473f01ff71432024f84a339a139c2e.jpeg

I’d like to know as well.

I know you can take it directly into moshi, so I assume you should be able to in coreldraw. You might want to take in into a non-vector image editor and turn up the contrast a little bit then gray scale it. I can go try it on some cardboard later and post pics if you like.

Change it to a grayscale/black and white. Adjust the contrast as needed. For an interesting effect, (I use photoshop) change it to a bitmap with about 60% dithering. Then reverse it and mirror it… spray one side of a acrylic sheet with black paint. Engrave it through the black paint. Clean it up a bit to remove dust from engraving and then paint over the black and engraving with white paint. It makes a very nice high contrast black and white “photo” suitable for mounting!

@Nathaniel_Swartz Thanks, I was considering doing the same thing, just thought rather than waste my time testing something that I am sure somebody else has already tested I would ask.
@Coherent Thanks for those interesting tips Marc. Sounds like a pretty cool idea. Currently I don’t work with acrylic sheets or any other materials than leather (although I have tested on cardboard at times too). I will keep that in mind for some interesting effects.

Here’s a link to an “instructable” on the process I mentioned.

@Coherent Thanks for that Marc. I can probably use a similar method for what I want to do on leather (minus the paint).

@Coherent Thanks again for that Marc. Just ran some tests using that method now & it’s looking great. Not quite finished though.