PSA - Hand Sanitation and Viruses

This is a great primer on why soap and alcohol are effective in killing viruses and why soap is much better than alcohol. :mask:

Great illustration of washing hands and a good timer.

2 Likes

It also covers why you should look carefully at any hand sanitizer you are using, and recognize that the non-alcohol-based “sanitizers” are not effective.

More resources:

This article was from before the outbreak and was about other viruses:

1 Like

TLDR - Maybe; related coronavirus SARS data hints at a possible seasonality while the coronavirus MERS does not. Also talks about theories around the seasonality of influenza.

1 Like

Do your part to help flatten the curve.

1 Like

The ER at the hospital is filled with people who swear they have Covid-19. It is keeping the X-Ray people busy and limiting them when needed in the operating room. (We do a lot of orthopedic surgeries.)

Yikes! Where are you? My wife works in the surgical pavilion at our hospital and the hospital had to do a media announcement last week after a rumor stated that they had Covid-19 patients. So far only 2 confirmed cases in NC in the middle of the state, so not particular near me. @mcdanlj is basically near ground zero for NC though.

John Hopkins Covid-19 map

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html?link_uid=33#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

1 Like

Given the amount of fear of the unknown surrounding COVID-19, the Bene Gesserit fear litany seems appropriate somehow. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

I’m in Flagstaff AZ. No confirmed cases here just a lot of hysteria of course.

1 Like

Nearest cases to me is 50 miles, a guy returning from Milan, of course a good kisses to his wife and daughter and that make it 3 near Taranto.
Yesterday the PM take decision to quarantine 16 millions northern Italians, a large amount try to flee south before the Blockade.

Remember the last numbers, half the cases have no or little effect (people with good health), the 3% of the weakest are the casualties, about 46% to have a rought time.

Stay safe and healthy my friend. :mask: :pray:

1 Like

3Blue1Brown is one of my favorite math based youtubers.

1 Like

Good stuff here with other people to follow.

1 Like

Make your own :slight_smile: https://washyourlyrics.com

1 Like

Coronavirus COVID-19 Global Cases by the Center for Systems Science and Engineering (CSSE) at Johns Hopkins University (JHU)

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

1 Like

I understand why they (JHU) did it, but I hate that they dropped the county level case mapping.

Here is also the NYTs live updates that still incorporates some county mapping.

1 Like

If you want to consider seasons, consider that Australia and China are in Fall while the USA is in Spring and around the equator is basically summer all year round. It is about the distance from the equator. Now look at the statistics for countries while considering that.

OMG! I went out shopping today and the stores looked like a scene out of the Walking Dead!

All the shelves were just about bare including dog food! This is just plain nuts!
This was even true at a Sam’s Club.

1 Like

Lol yeah it’s pretty nuts out there. I’m kind of use to these things since I live in hurricane country here on the east coast. The Coronavirus anxiety is kind of like super-slow hurricane anxiety. You know it’s coming. Some people are in denial. But once you’re through the preparation, it’s just about waiting.

1 Like