Prusa I3 Mk3. Starting to get this more often and since this is an

Prusa I3 Mk3. Starting to get this more often and since this is an auto bed level I’m at loss. I cleaned it with alcohol before hand but an using no glue or other products.

Any ideas?

Temperature is a likely issue. I’ve been hit by it with cheap no brand pla too.

Is the mechanical part in order? It is very similar to the fact that the drive is wedging in certain places.

Also check the driver of the stepper motor for proper operation.

@David_Morley I think you’re correct. I’m using MatterHackers Build Series PLA and have had zero issues with it on other parts that didn’t use so much of the bed surface as this design.@4b45c8230b59bcb8426d And all the layers after the first are just fine. This may be my first design that really uses 90% of the bed or so. It’s a big flat sign for a school restroom :slight_smile:
missing/deleted image from Google+

I had the same issue with a certain color of a pla from a supplier which usually works fine for me. I changed the spool and the behaviour was gone

A couple of additional suggestions:

1. with PLA (and ABS, NOT PETG) you might increase your “initial layer line width” some. I often set mine to 115%. This gets you additional “squish” and helps with first-layer adhesion.
  2. Turning off fan on the first layer is also sometimes good to do.
  3. Your slicer may also allow you to set an initial-layer bed temperature that is different. Consider increasing it 10 degrees or so to see if it helps adhesion. (Or just increase the bed temperature for all layers.)

Prints with a wide bed-contact area like yours are just inherently more challenging. While you can get away with some not-quite-perfect settings with smaller-footprint prints, using the whole bed like this demands that you have your first layer dialed in pretty much perfectly.

Good luck!

Actually mine did this exact same thing recently turns out some places on the bed of my printer were hotter than others. I am using glass on top of the original tevo surface. Which has delaminated slightly. So I measured the surface when hot and where it has delaminated isn’t as hot. So I am guessing this is the problem with mine. By the way I haven’t fixed it yet as I have been busy. I am using 60 deg bed temp.i haven’t decided to remove the original surface or reduce the heat.

I realise yours is a prusa maybe the heating element is not hard up against the bed underneath

@David_Sherwood The Mk3 heats up first, then runs the auto-leveling routine, before every print. It measures 9 points on the bed before every print then calculates the bed. Since the area of concern is almost directly on one of the measured spots I’m pretty confident it’s not the level of the bed but the heating element beneath it. I went to Prusa support and they recommended I check the heated bed itself by using a metal ruler. I’ll be doing that this afternoon after I finish this last print.

Update: I relocated the printer to the other side of the room. Turns out it was probably too close to ceiling A/C Ventmissing/deleted image from Google+