Project: exterior cover and shelf

Looking to mount this deionization filter system outside on west facing wall by my hose bib so will need to protect it from the sun. But also, when used to detail the cars it would be super helpful to have it also be a shelf on top to hold the 1’x1’ pressure washer unit.

Was thinking something like a hanging vertical cover which can be raised, locked into place and then be a shelf while detailing is going on. Then dropped back down for sunlight protection all the other time.

Thoughts or ideas welcome. IKEA parts not out of the question.

I’m building a Maslow 4 soon so maybe something to router out of exterior grade MDF.

1 Like

Hinged cover to extend into shelf over filter, chains to support shelf to eye hooks on wall and carabiners to hook chain to eye hooks.

2 Likes

That would work but I need to fill in more requirements since it’s on a west facing wall and outside it will also take lots of rain and wind and being hear the Pacific Ocean(less than 10 blocks) anything hanging is going to swing and way and bang against the wall plus get beat up by corrosive salty air. And the pressure washer will have a water hose going into the left side and a high pressure output hose on the other side so anything holding the shelf up from above will be annoying to deal with.

something with swing out arms to hold the shelf in place could be possible but I would not want the shelf hanging too far away from the filter canisters because it is on the side of the driveway and with the shelf extended to 1’ it might be a knock-into hazzard. I will have to measure the distance from the wall the driveway is since I will be running into and out of the garage during detailing sometimes since I keep forgetting the leaf blower. I use it to blow off the rinse water. Then again, if it’s really spot-free I won’t need to do that any more. But I’m sure I’ll forget something.

If this were on the back of the house or the east side the hanging chains might be an option. Especially with quick connects on both side of the pressure washer.

1 Like

You could use artificial decking material. It’s basically indestructible.

I was thinking that if your pressure washer was tucked behind the chains, you would not be able to pull it off the shelf or make it more difficult to dislodge.

1 Like

Agreed and it would be more of a requirement if I were still using the 20’ OEM HP hose but after a dozen 2-foam washes I decided to get a 50’ HP hose and now there’s no tugging on the Pressure Washer happening at all. But someone tripping on the hose might still get a chance to tug it off the shelf.

1 Like

I have not figured out the shelf/cover but the testing has begun.

2 Likes