Project Egress

This month is the 50th anniversary celebration for the Apollo 11 moon landing. As part of the celebration the National Air and Space museum has teamed up with Adam Savage and 44 other makers to make a life size replica of the command module hatch.
Using high resolution scans and technical drawings the entire hatch was modeled and stl file made available for all the hatch components. The components were then assigned to 44 different makers to construct using their medium of choice. Adam Savage will stream a live build of the hatch on July 18th. You can find a lot of individual part build videos/blogs using the #ProjectEgress tag on different social media sites (youtube, twitter, and IG)

1 Like

This Old Tony’s build.

Blondihacks

3D Printing Nerd

Paul’s Garage

NYC CNC

1 Like

Wish I could be there on Thursday! Anyone here going in person?

2 Likes

Just the effort alone that went into modeling the hatch is astounding!

1 Like

Jimmy Diresta just posted his build. Brass and Ipe wood, very steampunk.

Here’s Adam Savage and Co. talking about the project. As a side note this is a podcast Adam does called “Still Untitled” which is a great podcast that covers lots of interesting things. It’s also available as audio only on your favorite pod app.

2 Likes

Live build is starting :smiley: See link in top post.

#Nedman I love this project but the coverage is very sparse almost like they try to see if it goes viral. I went a few times to Tested.com and missed the live coverage of the assembly. Hopefully they will post it on YouTube. The Smithsonian museum is on my list of things to visit when going to the USA. It has been a while (last time was 2017, SF bay Maker Faire) so I better start planning…:smiley:

1 Like

I’m fairly certain they will post their own video. I watched part of the live stream and Adam’s videographer, Joey, was there and Adam was clearly talking to the camera at points. I expect you will see a video up sometime in the next week or so.

Thanks Ned, I’m a bit too eager to watch I guess. It takes a lot of time to edit a good video. These guys are professionals so I’m sure they are working hard to get it published. I will watch that space and make sure my YouTube notifications work this time.

1 Like

Fran Blanche seems to be the only person to have some good coverage see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLSLDooUSuk&t=3148s

1 Like

Watched Adam’s podcast earlier today and they said Apollo 50th videos would be coming out next week.

we aussies run a bit behind, so will catch up on the podcast!

Tested finally posted their edited version of the build.

1 Like