Problem with focus in diode laser

hi all i have a problem with my diode laser, i am new on this world, i buy this laser and received a few weeks ago, one day i make a design, save as gcode, and use, that day the file work great, the second day i use the same gcode, and the design is way diffrent (always darker and less details) so i have to change the power and speed of the laser, and make a new gcode, i work for that day and the next day, use the same last file, it happent again! the desing way burn and with no details, i really don’t know what is happening … , i also have a second questions, i currently have a 40w laser, i know that actually don’t work at 40w becouse i need around 7 pass to cut 3mm plywood, and the border get really burn, so i am looking to upgrape for something around 50-80 wats, somebody currently have any laser module in that range that can cut 3mm plywood in 1-3 pass? thanks so much

As I wrote in the other tread, humidity and focus has a big influence on the engraving result.

It’s possible that you loose power after some time of usage on the day because the diode gets hoter. That would be a warning! If the diode is getting too hot, it will get destroyed.

That’s anyways what I expect from a laserdiode that is advertized with 40W. Such strong diodes doesn’t exist! Which also is the answer to your question: No, there are no stronger laserdiodes.

If you want to cut 3mm playwood in one path you should by a CO2 laser (like the K40).

1 Like

thanks so much for your help, i think the same firts, that my laser can get hoter, but i just use a few hours one day, and the design was perfect, i save my machine and use the next day, and do my firts design that day with the same g code , and the result is extremely diffrent, so each day i has to check the laser focus? all diode laser have this problem or is just my laser? i really don’t know… i think that can be a sofware problem, that is why i save the file as a g code and use that file, but each day the result is way different.

and yeah i know i have to buy a co2 laser, the problem is that they are out of my budget right now, i need a lest to have a 20x20 work space, and that is above 2000$, so i am saving some money to in a future buy the muse !

i also order a air pump and a air assist muzzle for the laser, so i will see how that work

To get the most efficient cutting with a UV laser you really need to add an air assist. Using an air pump you direct a stream of air into the laser cut which helps remove some of the charred material while cutting. The char resists cutting.

2 Likes

Good advice. Every word is important here. “If you want to cut in one pass”. I never even attempted to have my new laser cutter/engraver at its highest settings of power and linear speed.

@NedMan I sort of knew that the cutting becomes less efficient with each pass, but I thought it was due to loss of optimum focus. I might try to see if introducing a blower makes a difference.

1 Like

See this post for more info. I reference a YouTube video that shows the increased cutting efficiency with an air assist with a UV laser.

(Lol, my phone auto correct keeps converting “UV laser” to U-VERSE. Guess you can tell who my cable provider is :crazy_face:)

2 Likes

With focus you get the best cutting effect by setting the focus point half way into the work piece.

2 Likes

Yes that makes sense… I have to get myself some different thicknesses of veneer. :laughing:

1 Like