Probing and Auto Level Has anyone figured out a way to have probing performed

Probing and Auto Level

Has anyone figured out a way to have probing performed on wood based services? Today I’m using the Touch Plate feature but obviously this works for just the single touch point you define. I’m wondering if there are other creative ways to probing occur across the entire work surface similar to the auto-level probing for PCBs (only works on conductive material).

I made a probe (described here https://arduinoplusplus.wordpress.com/2016/03/03/finding-zero/) that worked but was a bit fragile. As a proof of concept it was ok, but would need some ruggedizing for it to be used continuously.
https://arduinoplusplus.wordpress.com/2016/03/03/finding-zero/

I built a probe that relies on contact being broken when the probe tip touches something, that would work. There are also graphite solutions you can pour or spray on surfaces to make them conductive, used in processes for plating things like PCB’s or organic-based jewelry.

@Marco_Colli How does your design account for the length of the bit. Your design assumes that the probe and bit tip are the exact same distance from the material. When you remove your probe how do you know to align the bit tip.

Try wrapping the wood with aluminum foil

This is what I use for non-conductive materials and this design is spring free:
Paciente8159’s CNC probe found on #Thingiverse Paciente8159's CNC probe by Paciente8159 - Thingiverse

I don’t believe I fully understand the workflow. Once you’ve probed the work piece and you’ve collected the offsets what next? Here is where I get confused. When you remove the probe from the spindle holder you now need to insert the carving bit into the spindle. For the probe data to work (alignment) you must ensure the bit in the spindle is the same offset from the work piece as the probe head that you removed. How can you do this?

Autoprobe widget allows to apply probed ‘plane’ to your gcode file. Optionally you may save probed data for future use with the same project. First probe point is referenced as Z-height = 0.

Fix a workpiece to the table and set bit to top of the material by:
a. using touch probe widget (if you have a touch probe)
b. wrap conductive material around wooden piece (see John’s comment)
c. let the bit fall freely on top of workpiece and tight the collect nuts and set Z-height to 0 by G28.3 Z0