PrintrBoard replacement

I’m locking for a low cost replacement for a PrintrBoard. Any advice for a Board which runs on Marlin. A nice LCD with SD card would be a plus.

Have you seen my round-up of boards with integrated tmc drivers?

The BIGTREETECH SKR Mini E3 V2.0 is available in a package with a screen and fixed the worst problems with the V1.2. It costs more than it used to (thanks global shortages!) but I have purchased the combination available at this listing:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B09HT81NQW

3 Likes

Thanks for your reply. :slight_smile: I’ll go for the SKR mini.

1 Like

I went with the v1.2 back in the day on a printer I modified for a local robotics club. It was one of the adoptabot printrbot pro hardware kits he donated. The printrboard died, so the skr mini was a good candidate. It took modifications to fit. But has been running great for them. I also put an lcd screen on it for them as well and converted the bed to 120V for fast heatup. SSR for mains bed required a metal sidecar be added to the printer.

3 Likes

Nice work Eric. I was wondering if you tell me if you hijacked the ribbon cable that the Printrbot Simple Pro uses or if you ran new wires to every component in the extruder area? I bought an SKR Pico and wanted to use the Klipper Firmware. I like the idea of using the ribbon cable, but it might just be simpler to rewire. Would be grateful for any advice.

1 Like

Mine was a frame only from Brook Drumm at the end of Printrbot. So it didn’t have any of the wiring. I ran all my wiring in a split loom.

2 Likes

Thank you for the quick reply. I think that is what I’m going to do as well. I think it will be way easier to troubleshoot down the line. Also, I think a lot of the fans and other components use common grounds. I don’t want to mess with any of that. I just want to plug them in to the corresponding ports on the SKR and be done with it. Thank you.

2 Likes

Was this easy to do? My board just died and i really miss my printrbot Simple makers edition.

Not easy since it’s really not the correct size for the space. With lots of cutting and a sidecar box it was doable. But not for the faint of heart :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the reply.

The hardware for me is no problem, as I will just extend the wires a lot and have it in a box by the side (I have a makers edition from plywood, so looks arent important :wink: ).

I was more thinking about the setting up of marlin on the bigtree and the wiring (Do the printrbot wires match whats on the bigtree?).
Anyway, I went with a v3 which I receive in a couple hours, but I mnight not get to look into it before the weekend.

When I helped a friend resurrect his Printrbot Pro, my recollection is that the connectors were not the same, and that I would have had to have put new connectors on to switch mainboards.

Building Marlin should be no harder than any other printer, though.