Printing koch snowflakes has been popular lately,

Printing koch snowflakes has been popular lately, so here is my take on a koch snowflake vase. This was generated in python with liberal use of the erosion and dilation operators.

http://printbl.com sapphire PLA, 0.5mm walls, 0.1mm continuous-z layers, 199mm tall

I made a video, but it came out a bit over exposed and the subject isn’t the best choice for a timelapse, but I’ve already killed the bits:

Don’t print so good. I feel like shit.

Great!!!

Pretty. I think it looks great!

superbe

This looks phenomenal! Are there any tutorials out there on how to create objects like this? I’d love to teach a class and show others how to make unique things like this, it really gives 3D printing a chance to shine!

I’m not sure this type of stuff is suitable for a 3D printing class, but I think it would be perfect for a math class.

I simple python library that hides the gcode details, some 3d visualization and something that can give a printability score (yes this will print or epic fail) and you could teach some basic trig with a physical object as the end product. The whole idea of a physical manifestation of math is a powerful thing for learning…

My workflow for this isn’t really suited for teaching. I generate the gcode in python and then use gcodetovtk to convert it to something I can view in ParaView. Once I get something I like I preview the gcode with gcodeview and then regenerate the data with continuous-z enabled. To get the nice smooth curves I excessively oversample things and then quantize the curves to 1 step (0.012mm) when I’m generating the gcode. The result is that the generation time isn’t overly fast (but faster then it would be with a 3D slicer).

Beautiful as always…

wow