Can anyone advise on a couple of problems that are driving me to insanity?
I have a Wanhao i3 v2.1 with a glass bed held firmly in place with bulldog clips. It has been fine until a few months ago and now the print quality is rubbish. Flat layers feel rough and the first layer has ripples in it, which seems typical of bed leveling problems. No matter how hard I try now, I can not get the bed level.
If I start with all four thumb wheels turned down tight, it leaves a even space of 3-4mm between the bed and the extruder. I have tried a number of methods from here, but the one I am currently using is:
- Move the extruder to the back middle and turn the two back wheels together until I can just see a small gap between the extruder and the bed.
- Move the extruder to the back left corner then the back right making sure the distance is fairly consistent.
- Move the extruder to the front middle and turn the two front wheels together until I can just see a small gap between the extruder and the bed
- As before, do the left corner then the right by eye until it looks close.
- Move the extruder round each corner making sure nothing is way out or touching the bed. Usually so far so good at this stage.
- Home the extruder to the front left, and using the slight friction on paper method adjust the corner until it feels right.
- Do the same going back right, front right, back left, then home again. (I used to go just anti-clockwise round the corners but had the same problems)
What I am finding is I go round and round and round but I can never get consistent leveling. By the time I have been round a few times, the front left and back right corners end up screwed down as tight as they will go. The front right and back left become so slack, the spring is no longer able to push the bed up to the extruder and the wheel spins freely.
I have checked the printer is on a level base and that it does not rock back and forth. It seems stable. Using a try-square, I did find the frame was a few degrees out, so I have straightened that up and it seems true. I printed off some x-axis calibration bars, which I put between the y and the x rods to make sure the X was level. Finally I printed some spring corner holders to make sure the bed springs stayed in a nice and stable position.
I don’t understand why I can’t get the bed level anymore. I’ve spent hours on this and I’m at a complete loss.