Post shared in communities I'm member of.

Post shared in communities I’m member of. Comments could be posted in original post to share and discuss ideas and opinions at large. Post should be shared in relevant communities you enjoy hanging in and where this has not been posted.

Originally shared by Jérémie Tarot

With the announce of G+ service end in a few month: Considering Facebook is a poisonned alternative, as well as any proprietary, commercial personal data hog. Considering the benefits that the Maker, Engineering, etc communities would pull from a common and independant communication platform.
Isn’t it time to envision gathering forces, energies and resources under a common organisation umbrella that would build, promote and maintain such a platform.

Base feature set would be replacement for G+ as well as content syndication (pages, blogs, videos, podcasts) with integrated commenting. Ideally, building on it’s success, the platform would extend to code and project logs hosting, because GitHub dependence is even worth than anything else.

This, of course, would be based on Open Source code. Initial funding could be gathered from a crowdfunding campaign for the benefit of an ad-hoc foundation. A Wikimedia sister for the making, Engineering, fabrication… communities, knowledge and projects.

What do you think? I’m surely dreaming in front of my morning (third) coffee, but doesn’t it all starts like this :slightly_smiling_face:

I did think about it, but you @Jeremie_Tarot are first to write it ;-))

With Maker spirit in common; All our communities was built about the time, a lot of members are parts of each other communities, and are used too the same interface. the united forces of all those members is tomorrow success.

in a time line we know about the past, G+ strong points*, build up of ressources, community spirits & sharing. Present will last few months, enough to organise the futur.

More than the Sum of communities ressources, G+ interaction between members is also important. I will regret the ability to see at once all the communities when I turn up the computer. https://plus.google.com/u/0/

G+ strong points:
hight exposure/ranking in google search (new members)
Social media , Communications tool 4 members (private/public).
open system

G+ weak points:
organisation of data (just few categories & links), photo lib.

I would like to see, a place to regroup ours community from a main page with link each one. (happy to stay together), the ability of a blog, maybe a database (users, categories, link, …), forum with photos, and more.

keeping open source is also important.

My 2cts

Stéphane BUISSON
Owner of 2 communities, moderator of another 2.

I would say that lack of a single point of dependency would be good.

Git is a great example of this : it doesn’t care if an upstream repo is local, private, commercial or community. It’s trivial to move a project from github to another storage because everything is inside the project directories themselves, there’s no master control.

@artag absolutely! Being able to replicate, backup, or move data (away) is a fundamental prerequisite. But the GitHub commercial behemot issue should also be avoided in highest priorities. Remember the good old SourceForge/Freshmeat times? Ask a millennial behind its Apple laptop, I bet à significant number doesn’t even know the name!
So, without a single doubt, the most desirable architecture is the distributed one, with syndication and federation of users and contents.
This leads me to think the most valuable organisation would be the lightest able to gather, coordinate, support and promote the federation as a whole.

@Nick_Portelli $100/month?

@Nick_Portelli from my point of view, it’s a modern and somewhat improved implementation of the forum. G+ is a different beast. But discourse could be part of the picture in a fully featured integration scenario, together with diaspora, Mastodon, Mattermost…

@donkjr Can be self hosted too. Not cheaper, but surely more independant

From my experience its hard to keep a community running over the long run that is not using a public platform. Sooner or later the volunteer admin wears out and has to pass the baton.

I am going to miss the G+ integration with other Google products like photos :(.
Maybe Google has something new in mind for later. I can’t fathom them giving up the “search” in the social space …

When are G+ services expected to end?

@donkjr It had a free version and open sourced code. Maybe that’s changed.

@George_Allen Aug 2019 I think…

Oh, that’s still a while

@donkjr That’s the point, pushing the “public” thing up to the Public Interest!
And for the resources issues, human or others, that’s where a public organisation could shine. Think Wikimedia, FSF…

@George_Allen true, but not to much to create a large scale project