Ornament Storage Box

My Sister-in-law ask me if I could make them a tree ornament for their new dog. I’ve attached the svg file if anyone wants to use it.

Dog Ornament

Decided I wanted to make a storage box for the ornament, so here is my idea for a cheap and relatively easy design. Create an outline of your ornament and also create an area for the hanging string to go into, as well as to eliminate any unneeded areas

Combine the shapes and delete the left over internal shapes.

Create a frame around the outline.

Cut out of cardboard. Cut two blank frames without the ornament outline.

Glue the middle layer with the ornament outline to one of the blank frames with some CA glue, making sure the middle layer is oriented right side up if your ornament is not symmetric.

A hinge was created from some wide grosgrain ribbon and some double sided tape. The closure was made using split paper brads and some elastic cord.

Cut a piece of ribbon that is twice the width of the tape plus the thickness of all 3 layers. Apply tape to each end of the ribbon.

Remove the backing from one piece of tape and apply the inside tape edge flush to one side. Clamping all three pieces together helps get everything lined up.

Remove the backing from the other piece of tape and pull the ribbon taut as you place the tape side down on the other side.

Insert the brads into the slots cut for them. Pull the bottom brad flush with the surface and leave the top brad slightly spaced above the surface.

Cut a piece of elastic cord long enough to loop around the bottom brad and go around past the top brad. Melt the cut ends slightly with a lighter to seal them. Tie a loose over hand knot and adjust the knot until you get a bit of tension around the top brad.

Here’s the svg file for the ornament box.

Dog Ornament Box

4 Likes

I like the case idea and implementation!

2 Likes

Man, the new ability to highlight and spot edit long posts is SO freaking handy. :smiley:

2 Likes

A great way to recycle some of those Amazon boxes.

2 Likes

Absolutely!

2 Likes