Originally shared by Mike Miller The Sinclair ZX10 of the printing age?

Originally shared by Mike Miller

The Sinclair ZX10 of the printing age?
(You whippersnappers might not know, but when Ataris and Commodores were going for $400 to $800, a nutbar from the UK brought out a personal computer for $100. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZX81)

The m3d making records on kickstarter seems like it’s cut from the same cloth. One of the things I hadn’t seen yet in the hype was a plain document explaining their goals and methods. There’s definitely some interesting stuff here, but like the $100 Personal Computer, it’s build volume is a bit smaller than I’m interested in at this time.)

Here’s the whitepaper: http://www.printm3d.com/M3D-The_Micro-How_We_Did_It.pdf

So I see they have this micro motion sensing chip in the print head. Anyone got any idea how that will work?

If its just an accelerometer I can’t see how it can pull off auto levelling but maybe I am missing something?

talking about taking a stroll down really old memory lane. never had a Sinclair (friend did), but I had the Vic-20 :wink: and yup, kind of feels like old times now I think about it when using my Simple.

Anyone made their printer make that lovely heart warming loading sound yet? brrr bzzzz beeep kadang kadang kadang… :wink:

Still have a ZX81 here… and the Frogger game tape…

I had a zx81 souped up to 16k. Oh, yeah.

TI99-4a here - whoppin 4k ram - cassette tape storage -

@Mike_Miller To call Sir Clive Sinclair a “nutbar” is a little unkind. He is a true visionary.

I seem to recall he had fingers in a portable TV and vehicle with three wheels…nutbar doesn’t have to have negative connotations, perhaps mad scientist would have been a better choice of phrase.

My first computer was a ZX Spectrum, with the tape deck (remember that noise!) and the printer with narrow paper. Fabulous. Followed by an Amstrad, possibly a 1512, then a Mac Classic, then back to windows and long string of non classics!

@Gareth_Owen Does it still work, do you have Daley Thomson, Frogger or Hungry Horace?

@Gareth_Owen Oh my goodness, I remember the skiing one :slight_smile: Don’t remember the gun though! Good old days of the tone of the tape. I always wanted a Quickshot 2 for my ZX. Very sadly, its all gone, my mum had a loft clear out and took it all to the tip :frowning: Should have taken it with me!