Originally shared by james wolf Made another Lithophane for some good friends that came

Originally shared by james wolf

Made another Lithophane for some good friends that came over this weekend (the Curry’s). I took the photo on my phone with them in the backyard and cropped it down and added their name on top. It is printed in white on my UP Plus 2 and turned out pretty great (3.5 hours print time).

#lithophane #3dprinting #upplus2

What do you use to create the stl?

easy to use freeware called bmp2iges, you can read about using it and there is a link to it on my blog here:

This is great thanks for sharing.

Is it based on a bump map, normal map or a negative?

Very cool. Will definitely have to try this!

@Curtis_Bressler the depth of the plastic at each point is made according to the darkness of the pixel in the image. The freeware I used takes in a JPG and outputs a STL file. Check my blog post.

@Ruben_Lomeli while I agree EVERYTHING is better with lasers, not really sure what you mean there

I have only seen a few examples of Lithophanes done with Lasers, this however is a 3D printing community :slight_smile:

Well I must say they are great, so many uses. I love my UP PLus 2 and I use it all the time. The quality on my prints are top notch, and it basically prints perfectly out of the box. For trouble-free high-quality printing I couldn’t be happier. Take a look at the other stuff I have printed.