Originally shared by Henrik Larsen Skeleton for my man high compartment and operating panel

Originally shared by Henrik Larsen

Skeleton for my man high compartment and operating panel for my mostly ready DIY CNC. It will get wheels/feet and sidepanels as well as internal dividers.

This compartment should have room for everything such as computer, smoothstepper (the real one), power supplies (2 x 48V), motor drivers (4 x Leadshine 860), vacuum control, spindle VFD (2KW), cooling mister system (WD40) , Air pressure control system, touch screen, Spindle cooling system and much more.

I need to plan wiring and placement carefully.

Any good ideas to implement this successfully are welcome.

First comment - don’t build this frame until you have the plan for the contents! Looks nice though. You will need a backplane - a large plate(usually steel) or several that you can mount the components on. See http://www.rittal.com for ideas

Dibond is excellent for this - my two cents :slight_smile:

Hi @Peter_Fouche , they are nice cabinets, but far beyond my reach though.

The backplate thing, yes, I was thinking about making shelf like plates which can slide out of the cabinet on such drawer sliders. Wiring must be flexible though. And all electronics must be wire grounded to common point.

I know from our already running CNC approximtely how much room I need for the individual parts as well as wiring/tubing/fittings. Most parts are already in house and I have a rough idea on how much room is need, but not the exact placement and routing.

So - yes, your’re absolutely right :slight_smile:

Re grounding. You can ground to the drawers/ backplates, they ground them together. Use 2.5mm² cable. Ground in a star to avoid earth loops. Earth loops are a very bad thing! Are you overtravel sensors 5V or 24V? 24 is must better for noise immunity.

Are you mounting the stepper drivers and electronics in a cabinet with wheels beside the cnc? Wouldn’t that complicate wiring a whole lot, and make the whole point of having it on wheels moot?
I don’t have a mill myself though, so if this is common practice I’d like to apologise. :wink:
I would’ve used two cabinets, one stationary bolted to the cnc, and another with computer on.

Hi @Peter_Hertel and thanks for your comments. I was also thinking this myself.
I do have experience from building another CNC and that one was without cabinet. All was mounted under the CNC’s stand. It became a mess after some time as more and more stuff was mounted.
I have seen other prof. CNCs with a loose rolling cabinet and it seems a good idea. I want to try it. It may turn back on me - for instance if the wiring gets complicated.
I also want to have a clean CNC table. over and under. I have this idea that I can mill end grain on longer boards if there’s room for it.
If all goes wrong, I can still redo and break my fine cabinet in two and put one part under the table and hang the other on the wall.

What are you using for the end connectors on the aluminum tube? They look great! Are they Esto connectors?

The frame is made from a system named Porsa. It’s standard tube size of 25mmx25mm outside and tubing lengths in multiple of 10 cm. You then assemble tubes with corners with configuration of your choice, with 1 to 6 stubs. The corners are also aluminium, but they are covered with tough black plastic. So you just use a soft hammer to assemble. Porsa is mostly known for being used for the base for any size home aquarium. But it is actually used for any construction in the office or home, if you like it. It’s relatively expensive for what it is made of but I had some lying around and only needed a few extra corners and lengths of tubing. I don’t know how well Porsa is known worldwide.