[ONE-TIME PLUG] After years of work,

gplus
(Ryan Carlyle) #1

[ONE-TIME PLUG]
After years of work, my 3D printing book is finally in press! Title:
3D Printer Engineering Volume 1: Motion Platform Design
You can pre-order here for 15% off early-bird discount: http://www.sublimepublications.com/

This is a book for anyone who designs, modifies, or maintains 3D printers. Which is definitely everyone here!

The first round of printing is supposed to be done in 1-2 weeks, so it will ship soon. The early bird discount is planned to end at that point.

Table of contents for Volume 1:
Foreword

1. Introduction
  2. Machine Architectures
  3. Popular Machine Architectures
  4. Frame Construction
  5. Popular Frame Types
  6. Motion Hardware
  7. Popular Motion Systems
    Closing
    Further Reading

Some of y’all already know this, but yes, this is the first book in a whole series of 3-5 or more books. Volume 2 (Drivetrains) and Volume 3 (Stepper Motors) are fully written, but need illustrating and editing, and that takes a healthy while. So I think Volume 2 is maybe a year out. (I wouldn’t wait on more volumes to come out before you buy; I wrote Vol 1 to be a good resource on its own.)

Thanks to all the regulars here for years of interesting posts and discussions – you were part of developing this book!
[/ONE-TIME PLUG]

(Ryan Carlyle) #2

Mods, thanks for letting me post this here, you know I’m legit :slight_smile:

(Ray Kholodovsky) #3

Not saying I approved this ahead of time, but we know who you are :slight_smile:

(Xiaojun Liu) #4

Is electronic version possible?

(Ryan Carlyle) #5

@Xiaojun_Liu we will launch that later, it is only paper book today. I am not sure what my publisher’s timeline is.

(Xiaojun Liu) #6

@Ryan_Carlyle That’s good for our international readers!

(Roger Kolasinski) #7

What is the number of pages in volume 1?

(Ryan Carlyle) #8

@Roger_Kolasinski 370 pages

(Stephanie A) #9

Pre-order made. I can’t wait!
If all volumes are this price I’ll need to save up, but I know it’ll be worth it!

I’ll give you feedback too.

(Stephanie A) #10

Hi Ryan, I’m hoping you can elaborate on what is in the book, and the level of detail in it. Is it targeted towards engineers, hobbyiest, introductory? Does it include equations, material science and specifications, simplified explainations or rules/design guidelines to follow or common pitfalls.

(Ryan Carlyle) #11

@Stephanie_A It has all of that. Written for people ranging from hobbyists to engineers at startups. Publisher posted more info today, there’s a table of contents PDF and some page spreads. http://www.sublimepublications.com/store/p1/3D_Printer_Engineering_Volume_1%3A_Motion_Platform_Design.html

(Kevin Danger Powers) #12

This is impressive. Honestly better than I thought it would be. If the book is as good as the little demo, I may have to consider getting it. Are you going to make a troubleshooting guide? That would be really helpful. There is so much information on the internet that it can be hard to find what you’re looking for. A book dedicated to software and hardware issues would be nice.

(Ryan Carlyle) #13

@Kevin_Danger_Powers there are already a number of really good troubleshooting guides (maybe too many — kind of like drinking from a firehose) so I don’t think I would add a lot of value by making another. But links to some good ones would be a good resource page for my blog (http://www.3DP-engineering.com still developing it), so I’ll put that in the todo list.

I personally think the whole book is just as good as the samples — it’s a very thorough and polished resource for the covered subjects. There’s almost 200 illustrations and tables in a 370 page book. It IS just volume 1 of the series though, so it’s not going to tell you how to make an extruder or pick a controller board. Got additional volumes coming for that. (Rome wasn’t built in a day.) This one is focused on printer types (eg CoreXY vs i3), frame construction, and bearings/rods/rails. I promise you it’s the best resource out there for learning about those subjects. http://www.3DP-engineering.com

(Stephanie A) #14

I wouldn’t think that it would have every single design mechanism out there, after all there are some really really bad ideas that have come up through the years.

Good engineering typically comes to a single, or handful of designs. Try to improve upon a spoon by changing its characteristics. Try to build a better car without wheels.

Sure, someone will do it, because people come up with all sorts of ideas. But many of those ideas don’t propagate throughout the industry because there are too many drawbacks or factors that make it a bad design.

Then there’s other ideas that keep coming back over and over again and just don’t die! Like over constraining an axis, over constraining imperfect leadscrews, using 8mm rods for a 300x300mm bed, improperly accounting for frame twist, not accounting for belt tension, ad nauseum.

(Ryan Carlyle) #15

@shauki It is too late to add pictures to this volume but I did put an OnShape render of the PantherQR in the book! I also have a reference to your screw delta in Volume 2.

(ThantiK) #16

Ewwww…I just noticed a SketchUp license in the preview. Please tell me you didn’t suggest Sketchup to people in this book.

(Ryan Carlyle) #17

@ThantiK Haha no, that’s just copyright license terms for some “3D Warehouse” files I used to build illustrations. There’s a lot of open source / permissive license images and source models in the book so that section is just a license text link dump.

I don’t recommend any specific modelling programs but Sketchup would not be my first suggestion…

(Ryan Carlyle) #18

As a sidenote, there is a surprising amount of work and license interpretation involved in fully complying with open source licenses when you incorporate CC/GPL/FDL works (even unaltered) into a larger non-open-source work. And it varies by license rev too, so CC-BY-SA-4.0 has additional requirements versus 2.0…

Basically these licenses were written primarily to prevent open source code from being incorporated into closed-source software, or for only one license to be used at a time, so when you put a whole bunch of different open materials into a physical book or whatever, it gets really burdensome to comply.

(Ryan Carlyle) #19

Here’s a secret link to get an autographed copy: http://www.sublimepublications.com/store/p2/3DPE-autograph.html

Notes:

• Adds some S&H cost and delivery time
  • Limit 25 total (the repack/reship is too much work to do an unlimited number)
  • Offer ends after the pre-order window (but I’ll be at MRRF 2019 with a pen)
  • If you already pre-ordered, just check out with this and Michael will get it matched to your existing order. Or you can add this AND the book to your cart at the same time.

This is a new thing, let me know if you have website issues or anything.

(david merten) #20

WooHoo I got one on order!
Bummer I missed the autograph…
Maybe I will see you at MRRF?