One problem solved, another rears its head

One problem solved, another rears its head.

Further to my wavy lines problem which I have now solved. It was a loose Y axis stepper motor drive coupling. The stepper motor was only driving one side of the gantry, the right side. I had the frame out 3 times before I figured it out.

Now my next problem and any and all help would be appreciated. When I press Home (K40 Whisperer) the Y axis homes to top left, enters the limit switch and stops correctly, at which time the X axis moves left to right 50mm. If I press Home again it moves another 50mm to the right and so on. I should add that if I manually push it home I can engrave a piece as normal and at the end of the job it returns to where it started. One other clue just discovered, the rails don’t lock.

Any ideas?

Sounds a little like the X homing is not working properly. Could you have damaged the sensor, misadjusted the flag etc. when you were in there.
Did it do this before your other fix?

@donkjr Don, it was working fine before. I had the frame out, flat on the bench all wired up, and it was working just fine. I unplugged the ribbon cable and the small white main board plug prior to putting the frame back. As I lifted it, I knocked the left hand stepper motor slightly (nothing severe, just a gentle nudge)on the way back into the case so I could have damaged one of those 2 small boards attached to the stepper motor. What do you think?

@donkjr Don you’ve nailed it I have damaged the limit switch in re-assembly. Do you know where can I buy a new board?

I have not found a source for replacement end stops however you can repair them. I have been known to repair them for those who cannot :slight_smile:

@donkjr Thank you so much for the information. I Araldited the 2 bits back together and hey presto everything now working as normal. Thanks, Duncan

@Duncan_Caine nice, I’m surprised that worked.