One of the many awesome designs on http://makecnc.com made out of 1/8" Birch (it measured more like 2.89mm, which is less tham 1/8"). I ended up redrawing this completely because their DXF files have some issues like open paths, misalignments, edges that should be straight and are not, generally the usual imperfection you get when you export from one format to another. So I spent a couple of days in Inventor recreating the pieces, making them 3D, and actually assembling the thing virtually. Matching up all the pieces, adjusting what needed adjusting, before I exported all the faces out to Illustrator for final kerf adjustment, changing the fill of holes versus body panels, and then cut them out. Doing it all in 3D helped a great deal in fixing some of the alignment issues. In this picture, the outer layer of the wheels aren’t attached yet, they’re just sitting in the foreground.
I did make some small changes and there is still more to come. The bucket edge has been changed to a pointy edge instead of straight. Fixed some of the holes that would’ve been made with a router instead and overall got things a bit more snug.
Next step now is taking it all apart again (it’s just held together with friction at this point), and start making minor adjustments. The wheels are too wobbly because the whole is a tad too large for the axle part. The ‘hub plates’ are a bit loose, an even smaller kerf offset will fix that. The bucket and arm are too loose and I would love to figure out a way to add some friction so it can actually be held in a particular position other than just laying down. The pivoting front needs to be made tighter. And then there’s some engraving work. The ‘AJ Construction’ sign was a test (it’s being gifted to a boy who’s name is AJ). That will actually get engraved on the side panel under the window frame. And there are some other engravings I want to do.
All in all though, I’m really happy with this. I’m debating leaving the edges and light burn marks as is, not sand them off. It gives it character I think.