OMtech K40 is non Lightburn

I just purchased OM 40w machine and Lightburn motherboard. And I’m confused about the installation. I follow their motherboard again and again. I have double-checked the steps, but it’s still not working…

I gave up and decided to sell it. I want to get a K40 Lightburn machine, any recommendations? No more OM!

2 Likes

David, did you even try K40 Whisperer, it’s a really nice application for the stock K40( which comes with the M2Nano controller )?

If you need a K40 with a different controller it’s usually a DIY thing as the K40 itself is really not ‘consumer ready’ type of product and requires some fiddling to get operation and safe.

2 Likes

The installation of OMTech’s controller is pretty straightforward. You basically just take those four plugs and plug them into the controller.

The only caveat is that this controller is not a direct drop-in replacement for machines which use the 12-pin flexible flat cable. It doesn’t have a connector for that. Does your machine use that cable?

Did you install the Windows drivers as mentioned in OMTech’s manual?

“Not working” can mean anything. Please be more specific. Like, can you connect to it? Does it home? Does it move the head/gantry when powered on? Do some of the LEDs blink? Have you plugged in the “PWR”, “X”, “Y”, and “END” plugs as shown in the manual?

2 Likes

When you say you purchased an OM 40W and lightburn motherboard, are you installing the board or was it pre-installed?

I just put one of those boards in my K40 (ribbon style) and it ain’t exactly easy. It requires rewiring a motor and optical endstops or swapping the endstops for mechanical switches.

And in the end Lightburn does not autoconfigure this board. But picking the right driver (Smoothieware) and port (probably a USB port) will work. Probably.

1 Like

Omtech sells 2 different K40s and it they still make the Analog one the same as when I purchased mine then it is the one with standard wires and mechanical endstops( the one with analog meter, no digital display ). The digital display is a useless feature IMO and has helped burn out many a tube prematurely.

1 Like

Yup. Mine was analog too. Still had a ribbon cable. Wish their board had a ribbon connection!

1 Like

well that sucks since now it means you really have to check the manufacturer or seller to tell you if you plan on upgrading. Otherwise the easiest upgrade path to LightBurn is the Cohesion3D/C3D board which has a connector for this ribbon which has a motor and endstops on it.

1 Like

Such a bad luck. I have bad experience with OM as well. As far as I learn, Cohesion 3D maybe better choice;