Okay, same problem, but this time I have a picture.

3d-faq
3d-qa
3d-help
gplus
(Nicholas “ScarabCoder” Harris) #1

Okay, same problem, but this time I have a picture.
I get bits of burnt plastic all over the print, and the head was entirely cleaned (with acetone). The calibration I got down perfectly, so it isn’t that.
I’ll try with 85% flow and see if that makes a difference, and maybe change the speed to go a bit faster.

(Carlton Dodd) #2

Obvious question: What temperature are you using?
Not so obvious: Have you checked that your hot end is assembled tightly (no leaks)? Have you calibrated your extruder (steps/mm)? Have you measured your filament diameter (several times, along 1-2m), and entered that measurement into your slicer?

(Nicholas “ScarabCoder” Harris) #3

@Carlton_Dodd 230C for the ABS plastic, I might have some leaks (I’ll try reassembling it), and I’m pretty certain I got the calibration right. The diameter is correct.

(Adam Steinmark) #4

I agree with @Carlton_Dodd but have some other questions. What filament are you using? Unless you were using only ABS, acetone won’t sufficiently clean your nozzle. If you were using PLA you need MEK also. Also, what are your retraction settings? And please post your print setting when you post problems like this. Assuming you calibrated your Z height correctly this is either due to (still) improper cleaning, over extruding, you have not loaded the Printrbot .ini profile to your slicer (and therefore have multiple wrong setting problems contributing to this), loose hotend, or a combination of any of these reasons. It seems like you’re trying to sprint before even stretching. Follow these steps in order: make sure you loaded the correct .ini profile into your slicer, make sure the nozzle diameter and filament diameter are correct, make sure you’re using 1.7mm filament, if noticable bits of filament are still stuck on your nozzle clean it with acetone and MEK then make sure its fully dry, then fully tighten your hotend (don’t overtighten and break it, just a little more than finger tight) then calibrate your extruder with this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUPfBJz3I6Y , then recheck your nozzle height. Feel free to ask any questions about this process. Please post if this helped.

(Nicholas “ScarabCoder” Harris) #5

@Adam_Steinmark Ha, I think doing all of that will fix my problems (plural, possibly any others I come across).

(Adam Steinmark) #6

Happy to help. I have a Simple Metal myself but with a heated bed. I’ve used several other printers as well. You have to understand that this is a learning machine and is not meant to be plug and play. There’s a decent ammount of setup you have to do first and then minor tweaks to make sure prints are great. If you follow Printrbot’s setup guide for your printer that should have taken you through the basic setup and this community can help with the minor tweaks (assuming you set your printer up properly) as long as you post pics and your relevant print settings. Don’t worry in time you’ll be a natural and start suggesting solutions to other people.

(Nicholas “ScarabCoder” Harris) #7

@Adam_Steinmark Yeah, I know. I’ve had it for over a year, I only just installed a heat bed a few days ago (for a few months I wasn’t using it, and I had to re-calibrate it).
Thanks so much for helping, though!

(Jim Wilson) #8

This may have been mentioned before, but if you’re having to adjust your flow rate to 80%, then likely you do not have your E steps properly calibrated. Make sure you do so, which can be done even without a test print: http://reprap.org/wiki/Triffid_Hunter’s_Calibration_Guide#E_steps

Ideally flow rate should live at 100% all the time.

(Adam Steinmark) #9

I agree with @Jim_Wilson . Don’t adjust your flow rate unless you want more or less flow for just a single print. Use the extruder calibration and adjust your firmware.