Ok, this made me laugh.  I asked for quotes on the WS2812 and this

Ok, this made me laugh. I asked for quotes on the WS2812 and this is what I get as reply:

We’d like to quote you as follows, ​
​ ​ ws2812 led , 0.35usd/pc.
It’s ​ made by hand, and roasted in the oven.

Yep, ROASTED. :slight_smile: And that’s single pieces. Prices changes with quantities …

I want an excuse to learn SMD soldering - I wonder if it would be worth it to do a group buy at some point? (Not until july! I need to release the library then I have a large led project that I have yet to start and needs to be finished by july 4th!)

I have SMD 5050s (RGB and white), as well as WS2801s laying around. Happy to send you some. Heck, I’ll help you build some PCBs and unleash your soldering “madskilz” on them … grin

I also have a bag of ws2812’s somewhere here, about 20-30 of them to play around with. But nothing for a while!

Also - thought you might be interested, @Mark_Kriegsman just put in code to be able to say:

leds[i] = 0xFF0000;

:slight_smile:

Cool. Though I can’t wait to pass all three variables in one shot, instead of the .r, .g, .b method right now … something that I suspect is coming in the next day or two. :slight_smile:

Also, as far as group ordering LEDs/ICs/strips, I’m all for it. Maybe folks should start posting when they’re thinking of placing an order or what material and we can go from there.

in that case it’d be leds[i] = CRGB(r,g,b); or leds[i].setRGB(r,g,b);

Of course, they all pretty much come out to be the same in the end - performance wise, as they all do the same thing.

You can also assign leds to each other:

leds[i] = leds[i+1];

Or halve the brightness of an led:

leds[i] /= 2;

Or add two led values together

leds[i] += leds[i+1];

and some other pixel-level operation goodies.

The release candidate will have all this stuff, but not necessarily documentation for it all, yet.

Yep, I have done all of those iterations … And while in the end setting .r, .g, and .b individually is the same as setting all three at the same time when comparing performance … it’s 2 lines less ( unless you write it all on one as leds[i].r = xx, leds[i].r = xx, leds[i].b = xx; which I personally don’t like to do.) Personal issues. :slight_smile:

Diskspace and newlines are still quite expensive, these days, after all :slight_smile: