Ok so I just hooked up the steppers up to my ramps.

3d-faq
3d-qa
3d-help
gplus
(Griffin Paquette) #1

Ok so I just hooked up the steppers up to my ramps. I have the arduino flashed with marlin and I have 3 of the step sticks set at 250mah and the extuder stepstick set at 400mah. But in pronterface when I click x axis movement all I get is a noise out of the motor. I have tried all different combinations for the motor wires to be hooked up to the RAMPS board but I still get the sound. I have good voltage going to the ramps. I also havent changed any values within marlin so I dont know if there is an issue in there either.

Any suggestions?

(Justin Garski) #2

What happens on y and on the extruder? Isolate the issue. If you have y working you can try swapping motor leads and see where the problem stays.

(Griffin Paquette) #3

@Justin_Garski it sdoes the same thing on all axis’s

(Justin Garski) #4

I don’t know much else about the system. (I build custom machines for a living and many people on here miss the basics)

(Griffin Paquette) #5

Well @Justin_Garski it is just a reprap smartrap. Do you use marlin firmware on your printers?

(Justin Garski) #6

No, I’m lazy and just use a Makerbot. I though about building a machine, but after doing it daily, the last thing I wanted to do was build more. I print all sort of random stuff with the kid.

(Jim Wygralak) #7

It could be that your step rate is too fast, or it could be that your current is set too low. Try turning your speed way down, first.

(Griffin Paquette) #8

@Jim_Wygralak how do I change my step rate? Because I changed nothing within marlin.

(Griffin Paquette) #9

@Mark_Rehorst what do you mean by jumpers? Are you talking about the stepper drivers?
And how would I find out these measurements that I need?

(Griffin Paquette) #10

Ok so is there anything that I need to change in marlin? Or do j need to change something under the drivers themselves? I am running 20 tooth drive gears with 2.5 pitch belt. and basically all I am getting out of the motors is this high pitched sound @Mark_Rehorst

(Griffin Paquette) #11

It was my stupidity. I forgot to put any jumpers in whatsoever. I’ll plug them in and try again in the morning.

But the question still lies, how/where do I edit the steps per mm if I have the 20 tooth gear and 2.5 pitch belt?

(Griffin Paquette) #12

ah yes haha. My fat fingers have trouble typing on my iPhone sometimes. But ok I will definitely check that out. The math makes sense it’s just the coding has always been a little bit beyond me. But I’ve been getting the hang of it more.

Thanks @Mark_Rehorst and all others!!

(Justin Mitchell) #13

Noises from the motors can mean your under powering then, and 250mA sound quite small too. The RepRap I have came with instructions to run the motors at around 1amp each at 12 volts.

(Griffin Paquette) #14

Ok so I got the steps calculated. Can someone tell me what line of code in config h I need to change the z axis? The x and y are good!! And do I just put in the one number?