Ok so I just hooked up the steppers up to my ramps.

Ok so I just hooked up the steppers up to my ramps. I have the arduino flashed with marlin and I have 3 of the step sticks set at 250mah and the extuder stepstick set at 400mah. But in pronterface when I click x axis movement all I get is a noise out of the motor. I have tried all different combinations for the motor wires to be hooked up to the RAMPS board but I still get the sound. I have good voltage going to the ramps. I also havent changed any values within marlin so I dont know if there is an issue in there either.

Any suggestions?

What happens on y and on the extruder? Isolate the issue. If you have y working you can try swapping motor leads and see where the problem stays.

@Justin_Garski it sdoes the same thing on all axis’s

I don’t know much else about the system. (I build custom machines for a living and many people on here miss the basics)

Well @Justin_Garski it is just a reprap smartrap. Do you use marlin firmware on your printers?

No, I’m lazy and just use a Makerbot. I though about building a machine, but after doing it daily, the last thing I wanted to do was build more. I print all sort of random stuff with the kid.

It could be that your step rate is too fast, or it could be that your current is set too low. Try turning your speed way down, first.

@Jim_Wygralak how do I change my step rate? Because I changed nothing within marlin.

@Mark_Rehorst what do you mean by jumpers? Are you talking about the stepper drivers?
And how would I find out these measurements that I need?

Ok so is there anything that I need to change in marlin? Or do j need to change something under the drivers themselves? I am running 20 tooth drive gears with 2.5 pitch belt. and basically all I am getting out of the motors is this high pitched sound @Mark_Rehorst

It was my stupidity. I forgot to put any jumpers in whatsoever. I’ll plug them in and try again in the morning.

But the question still lies, how/where do I edit the steps per mm if I have the 20 tooth gear and 2.5 pitch belt?

ah yes haha. My fat fingers have trouble typing on my iPhone sometimes. But ok I will definitely check that out. The math makes sense it’s just the coding has always been a little bit beyond me. But I’ve been getting the hang of it more.

Thanks @Mark_Rehorst and all others!!

Noises from the motors can mean your under powering then, and 250mA sound quite small too. The RepRap I have came with instructions to run the motors at around 1amp each at 12 volts.

Ok so I got the steps calculated. Can someone tell me what line of code in config h I need to change the z axis? The x and y are good!! And do I just put in the one number?