Not your mother's extruder! (no offense to your mother) Mature iteration of a

Not your mother’s extruder! (no offense to your mother)

Mature iteration of a fantastic idea… If you have trouble with your current extruder setup, give it a try, you won’t regret it… #saintflint
Thingiverse: Saintflint Extruder by mmemetea - Thingiverse
Youmagine: https://www.youmagine.com/designs/saintflint-extruder

where was that gadget all my life!?

Divided in several heads, mainly:
@shauki
@Mauro_Manco
@Dale_Dunn
and myself…
It tooks me some hours of Onshape and several prints to get it work the way we wanted, but it’s very nice. Thanks.

A very sound article on extruder, hobbed gear worth your time if you’re curious (from @Mark_Heywood , author of the Airtripper)

Hi, what filament are you using 1.75 or 2.85?

@Tiago_Vale 1.75 mm. Why, fancy a 3 mm version?

Yes, I only have 3mm filament. Is it possible? I already printed it in clear ABS and it come out Ok but after inspecting it I realized it couldn’t be for 3mm use.

Tiago, I use M4 screws to secure the PTFE line in the extruder. What are the PTFE line inner and ext. diameter for a 2.85 mm filament?

inner is 4mm and outer is 6mm

Apparently, a viable alternative for the flint could be the knurled gear from the Ultimaker:

I don’t think it’s a match for the hardness of the original flint, but it’s more “user-friendly” to install.

For those of you who have access to an EDM machine (electro-erosion), it a possible way to get almost any regular solid flint wheel fit the shaft of a step motor. Thanks to @Tiago_Vale for this.