Norm question! I am using the connectors seen on the picture for most of

Norm question!

I am using the connectors seen on the picture for most of my Led-related projects. I would like to know if there is a norm / standard to follor on which one to use as input and which one as output.

thanks!

9dbf3772069f8fdd2c9604345d9b846e.jpeg

Most strips I’ve seen have the male (the one on the left) as input and female as output

It carries power — male is usually the input, female the output. (eg: live voltage is on the female)

Reason for female as output: to avoid short cuts if a metal piece falls into the connector.

In life and in electronics, the female always has the power. :slight_smile:

:smiley: great. thanks everybody!

I always think about AC mains wall power connections: the socket (female) is where the power comes from, the plug (male) is the device that uses the power. So when it’s late at night and I can’t recall which is which, I just model it after the wall socket.

Please don’t be meaninglessly sexist about power in relationships.

And there are a couple exceptions to this as a connector rule anyhow. (Ahem, audio, what were you thinking) But it’s a good convention.

Sexist by who’s definition? I’m more of a believer in universal duality of opposites rather than any concept of equality. Positive/negative, dark/light, force/resistance, male/female, etc. Sameness = nonexistence. Personally, I think women have a LOT of power in a relationship because most of us men can’t believe that one of them wanted one of us in the first place. :slight_smile: I stand by my mnemonic.

I always make the one carrying “stuff” (be it power or data) be the female and the one that’s passive (dead without power/data) the male. As mentioned above, it’s a good rule to follow as it prevents exposed pins potentially being live.