Norm question! I am using the connectors seen on the picture for most of

gplus
(Leo Bettinelli) #1

Norm question!

I am using the connectors seen on the picture for most of my Led-related projects. I would like to know if there is a norm / standard to follor on which one to use as input and which one as output.

thanks!

9dbf3772069f8fdd2c9604345d9b846e.jpeg

(Shlomo Zippel) #2

Most strips I’ve seen have the male (the one on the left) as input and female as output

(Seph Aliquo) #3

It carries power — male is usually the input, female the output. (eg: live voltage is on the female)

(Juergen Bruegl) #4

Reason for female as output: to avoid short cuts if a metal piece falls into the connector.

(allanGEE) #5

In life and in electronics, the female always has the power. :slight_smile:

(Leo Bettinelli) #6

:smiley: great. thanks everybody!

(Mark Kriegsman) #7

I always think about AC mains wall power connections: the socket (female) is where the power comes from, the plug (male) is the device that uses the power. So when it’s late at night and I can’t recall which is which, I just model it after the wall socket.

(Seph Aliquo) #8

Please don’t be meaninglessly sexist about power in relationships.

And there are a couple exceptions to this as a connector rule anyhow. (Ahem, audio, what were you thinking) But it’s a good convention.

(allanGEE) #9

Sexist by who’s definition? I’m more of a believer in universal duality of opposites rather than any concept of equality. Positive/negative, dark/light, force/resistance, male/female, etc. Sameness = nonexistence. Personally, I think women have a LOT of power in a relationship because most of us men can’t believe that one of them wanted one of us in the first place. :slight_smile: I stand by my mnemonic.

(Jon Gritton) #10

I always make the one carrying “stuff” (be it power or data) be the female and the one that’s passive (dead without power/data) the male. As mentioned above, it’s a good rule to follow as it prevents exposed pins potentially being live.