Nominate G+ maker communities

I own a Fabcreator and have talked with Bonne months ago about his plans. He has a Discourse forum running on his own site which was already there pre G+ closure: http://community.fabcreator.com
So the G+ was already obsolete but people still used it I guess.

1 Like

@Unfold thank you very much for clearing that up! So what you are asking is exactly what I asked for Google logins to this site. :slight_smile:

Sorry to ask a side question but I need help with orientation: I build large printers and would love to print ceramic statues. So where should I join and educate myself in extruding other materials than filament?

@anon57870006 https://wikifactory.com/+Ceramic3DPrinting/forum

2 Likes

Since I posted to Laserweb on G+ I now have two account here. Anything that can be done about that?
I’m also @Unfold

@Unfold Just add your request to the queue and I’ll be doing a bulk merge-and-rebake after all the imports are complete. Sorry for the inconvenience, I’ll get it fixed up.

@anon57870006 I spent some time this evening looking at the DIY Flying Robots / UAVs community, and it’s almost all spam. What would you think about going through it and identifying users whose posts should be preserved in an import of that community? I’ll bet there are about 20 people who posted useful content there that was actually about DIY UAVs, instead of a million FPV videos shot in commercial quadcopters etc.

@Jean-Baptiste_Pichan I have more information for you. Apparently, the Google Community Takeouts are missing comments which makes them useless. While I guess it’s worth doing takeouts just in case, I strongly recommend the Friends+Me Google+ Exporter on the basis that it has been proven to actually work. Also, I would strongly suggest doing it as soon as possible, because recently there was a change to Google+ that temporarily broke the exporter and had to be worked around, and we have no idea when Google will push another change that breaks it again.

Let’s skip it then if there are other volunteers, because I am dedicating my time for the Multibot and there shall be some programming after the hardware is tested.

1 Like

Shapeoko is imported. Can’t announce on the G+ group because I’m not a member, but it looks very inactive so maybe we just count on web searches to find the content.

1 Like

If I had understood, I probably would have offered code for importing the archive into the official forum, but now we’ll make the category a place where laser enthusiasts generally can also continue to talk about FabCreator, and I added a link to the official forum in the category sticky.

OpenRC is ported, and I have announced on G+.

Done‽

I have no more ports immediately planned. I have archives of several communities that require spam (or maybe non-spam!) identification in order to import, so a bit more content may still show up, but I don’t have any porting work that I’m currently working on.

1 Like

@mcdanlj Lots of thanks ! New history shall be written here - let the rest rest in peace.

1 Like

@mcdanlj you have achieved a solid touch base for the open developers. With such a good start we need to reach better aims. I see that G+ made a good deal bringing intelligent team here.
Love to see a pinpointed post with links of projects we want to make real.
For example I WILL make Multibot open free real.
I WANT to make a slow flying vehicle acceptable in Germany, etc.
We have plenty of young who watch us but sure most of them do not know what for is the stuff we are dealing here with (do we? )
@mcdanlj You have done good basement bringing intelligence to here from G+,
New generation needs further inspiration.

2 Likes

@Phil_Duby Last night, I was bothered there were a few people whose posts to the DIY UAV group I really wanted to preserve, but adding enough to the blacklist to import the community was going to drive me crazy. So I quickly ran through the community, noting users who had posted really useful content, and found 15.

So I implemented a whitelist for the importer and imported them into the DIY UAVs category.

The way the whitelist works is it includes only posts authored by the whitelist, and all comments authored by anyone who isn’t on the blacklist.

So if it’s easier, just identify people who posted at least some meaningful content and give me a list in the same format as the blacklist, and then I can do import.

1 Like

I’d suggest the following communities:

Hi @ireneus! Embedded Microcontroller Projects and Microcontroller Based Projects both have a lot of spam, thus the conversation above with @Phil_Duby about blacklist/whitelist. It looks like everything with “Arduino” in the name also got choked with tons of spam

In any case, Google has been blocking the exporter and I only get go away you nasty robot (not the actual error message) when I try to use it, so I think I’m past when I can do more imports. :frowning:

@Phil_Duby — On Google+, @MidnightVisions suggested cutting off at 2017, and archiving only the “Completed Projects” category of Embedded Microcontroller Projects as a way to get value with less spam. What progress have you made on identifying spam?

(I’ll plan on evaluating this kind of selective import for Arduino Projects and Arduino Tutorials as well. No promises there, but it’s worth at least a look-see.)

I got side tracked building a tool to let me view the json content as ‘posts’ in a browser. To make it easy to tag spam / non-spam. Taking longer that is should, as I learn more about python, json, web server code.

Oh! If I’d known, I would have pointed you to the quick script I hacked together before for that, before discovering makerforums…