Node MCU workspace. I got the console cable and had no problem connecting and

Node MCU workspace. I got the console cable and had no problem connecting and running basic blink but the same thing in John’s Chilipeppr nodemcu workspace I get nothing back and what looks like a stalled buffer trying to run the same program. I know this is new stuff so I’ve most likely missed something obvious. It was trivial to use the console cable and type the code. Much easier than arduino and pi stuff. These esp8266 guys a very cool.

Keep hitting Reset button until perhaps it starts to work. I find that I sometimes have to hit it 3 times with a delay each time of say a second. Or, reset your ESP8226. I tend to sometimes have to press the reset button on the NodeMCU’s to get it to go. Once connected though it works like a dream.

BTW, my recommendation is to never use tmr.delay() on an ESP8266. That just spins the processor and kills your ability to let it do other stuff like Wifi. You want, instead, to use tmr.alarm() with a callback. Wayyyyyyy better way to do it, but you have to change the way you think. Don’t fall into Arduino-like approaches.

Yes, I’m reading the nodemcu docs on the callbacks for everything so it won’t stall and other warnings like memory and power management.

That was the test (cut and paste) Adafruit had for connecting with putty. I’ll get back to the nodemcu later got a few things to do but it sure looks promising, but also more to learn but not more time… [sigh].

Cool, blue light blinking using your blink (with the callback :slight_smile: This is fun.

Oh, you’re cooking with gas now. You should make a video for everyone on how to do this. It’s game changery.

Stumbling along, just listed access points and saw mine listed but failed to connect with Adafruit code. Ran some of your buttons like filesysteminfo and cut and paste from the Adafruit website. Long way to go… :slight_smile:

Got Putty to connect and even get the test web page from Adafruit. I think this is going to become a presentation for our local Arduino/Pi group. Are you going to post code for your projects? I have not looked what you are doing with Cayenn yet. I have a hall sensor set up on my spindle to count revolutions and get a spindle speed. I was going to use the Pi but will try this guy now. This really does have some fun potential.
missing/deleted image from Google+

I’m still playing with the ESP8266, when I have time. Hacked a little spindle speed hall sensor (part of a cheep flow meter sensor). If I did it right, I’m getting about 6,000 rpm max from the 3040 spindle. This Chilipeppr/nodemcu workspace is killer once you get it going. I hope more people discover it and contribute.

My spindle goes to about 10k rpm. I had to get my debounce correct on my ESP to get accurate readings. That’s why I’m abandoning my magnet hall sensor and moving to a line sensor which is infrared so I can make 50% of the plastic fan white with the other black so i get longer pulses. Also, I found the magnet mounted inside the plastic fan created resonance during milling and I had to get rid of it. I could have put a balancing magnet, but then even tougher debounce problems.

Not sure how you are using the hall sensor. The one I have has a round magnet I glued to the top of the spindle.

Oh, gotcha. Yeah, that looks kinda cool and looks like it will not create resonance. I put my magnet on one side, inside the plastic.

@jlauer I used the gpio.INT trigger and got 6 pulses, 3 up and 3 down, per revolution. I was holding it by hand without the metal center to keep the distance right. I’ll get it mounted do some more testing. They are cheap and you can use the little impeller on the bit as an air assist.