New mantel clock design

New clock design and build in black walnut and mahogany with custom hibiscus flower pattern. Got a request from my sister for a clock she could give as gift for Christmas.

I asked her what kind of clock she wanted and she told me, “Oh just a pretty one, but…no dragons or vampires!” Well there went my Christmas vampire theme out the window.

The clock is about 18" x 11" x 4" in black walnut and mahogany panels and inlays. Now the boring part of finish. First coat of tung oil is on and tomorrow I’ll start building up the coats. Total 3 coats over 72 hours and after about a week I’ll finish with some oil poly.

7 Likes

Another masterpiece!!!

4 Likes

Love the detail!

4 Likes

Finally assembled and completed. I had to wait for the tung oil to cure. Not a fast process but I love the softness it lends to the wood. Now have to make one for me with dragons and vampires.

4 Likes

That’s truly gorgeous!

3 Likes

I really liked the design so making one for me. Dragons and Phoenixes for my clock. Carcass complete. I’ll install the clock mechanism this weekend.

This is one version of the patterns but in the end I didn’t use the spheres. Really happy with the patterns though.

Walnut with maple and mahogany inlay accents.

6 Likes