New K40, laser not firing at all

Is the idea for keeping down algae that it keeps the light out, or that copper is a biocide? (Thus, e.g., brass doorknobs reducing disease transmission.)

Yes to a certain extent. Under the mild conditions (temp and pressure) it’s probably going to be fairly low and slow leaching of Cu ions. Don’t know off the top of my head how much conductive change is likely, but I expect it to be low as long as the pH is fairly neutral.

There is this whole thing about deionized water attacking metals like stainless steel. I’ve seen this in a lot of places, even from manufactures of lab equipment. I actually believe it for awhile in my career until I got curious and did some literature searches. I didn’t really turn up much supporting such a hypothesis under normal conditions. What I did find is that this is really only true for high pressure and high temp industrial process lines. So under mild conditions there is unlikely to be an appreciable interaction from stainless steel surfaces and deionized water. So some how this fact about deionized water has gotten spread without the proper context.

Lol my brain must be fried because I’m having trouble envisioning how this setup works. I believe you, but I just can’t see it. :slight_smile:

Yes, copper acts as a biocide.

2 Likes

@NedMan Thanks as always for your professional input and clarification. :clap:

2 Likes

I have a 5202 chiller which has a pair of connection for two machines at the same time.

I use only one to the machine, so added a copper loop and put it in a beer cooler water and ice. The distilled water goes through the copper tubing (heat exchanger) back into the machine and through the tube and back into the chiller.

In the picture you can see the ‘loop’ of tubing, this is where I attached it to the beer cooler loop…

:smiley_cat:

1 Like

Ah, so you are using the A side with the water ice to help chill the B side inside the chiller?

They are just ‘series’ linked. All the 5202 was doing at the time was pumping water and controlling the error input to the Ruida for water protection.

So I guess ‘Yes’…

Usually the picture in your head is much more close if I post the picture I want you to see. :crazy_face:

:smiley_cat:

2 Likes