New abstract piece

A new art piece for the house. 11" x 22" x 1.25" carved in pine and painted. Base is Eastern Red Cedar and purple heart.

And if anyone wants to carve something similar.

4 Likes

Oscar, I’m intrigued. I have been reading your AI generated posts with interest. Is it possible for you to give a step by step set of instructions from start to finish for generating these height maps?

Dunc

Dunc,

Do you use any art 3d modeling software? I have Blender3d, Zbrush, and 3dCoat (though there are a ton more).

My process would be difficult (not impossible) to do with CAD.

The other challenge is that each AI generated height map requires a different strategy based on how good it comes out. Sometimes it only needs a little cleaning up and refining troubled areas. Others need a lot of work by changing model heights, adding or deleting detail.

This abstract pattern was made manually. If you have strong math skills you can have a blast making them. Blender3d has a node based graphics interface to create different textures that can be used to create height maps with.

Oscar

I decided to have a play with CAD (using Onshape) for a moment and see if I could generate something similar/interesting.

1. Made some wavy surfaces, first using a loft between some spline curves, and second using a parametric surface function.
  2. Turned on zebra stripes to visualize curvature in black and white.
  3. Screen captured a section of the screen from a top view and the other from a 3/4 top view.
  4. Applied a few gaussian blurs to the captured image.

Perhaps levels could be used to adjust midranges/darks. What do you think though, would it work?

3 Likes

Those look great. I am sure they would make some impressive pieces of art.

I guess by doing it in 3d software such as Blender/Maya/Max, one could save the step of processing/blurring the b&w image since it could be rendered out directly as a grey scale depth map image, but that really doesn’t take long in the grand scheme of things. The majority of the time will be in the creation and tweaking of the 3d form.

If using CAD is ones 3d modeling software of choice, the CAD model could be exported and then imported to Blender solely for rendering the grey scale depth map. That might help create a more automated/iterative process if a lot of versions or experimentation was desired.

Fun stuff. Thank you for sharing your works.

3 Likes