My K40 story

The first time I was aware of the K40’s existence was around 2013. I was working on, Bio-it an invention and I wanted to add a logo on part of the prototype that was one eight inch thick Birch plywood. In my research I had watchedYouTube videos on electric branding irons and the K40. The branding iron would need to be made to my design and would take several weeks to arrive were as the K40 could be delivered free of charge and would arrive in a couple of days. Although money was tight and the K40 was a lot more expensive than the branding iron, I reasoned that getting the invention patented and starting to repay some of my considerable investment in time and money was the best option. Oh!! How wrong can you be.

Now began my months and months of upgrading of the K40, I was locked in. So I needed to keep spending and upgrading it to prevent being electrocuted, blinded, poisoned by deadly fumes and the possibility of it burning down my shed and house.

Finally, a long time later the day dawned when all that was left to do was to align the mirrors. I followed the K40’s user manual, Laser gods and K40 laser’s instructions in turn over several sessions but I didn’t manage to get the mirrors aligned. So I gave up on masking tape.

I then came up with a simple alternative which comprised of a couple of squares of 18mm plywood, magnets, two batteries and a low powered laser. I stuck a piece of masking tape over the laser exit hole in the K40 cabinet. Fired a laser pulse through the tape. Lined up my very crude invention with the laser strike hole, switched the low powered laser on. With this set up I was able to align the mirrors in around fifteen minutes. From that very Heath Robinson beginning over time has evolved the OneShot laser alignment system.
I Have now made a small batch, eight and would like to begin to sell them. But I would like some honest independent feedback before I invest any more of my time and money in OneShot. My plan is to give away a couple in return for independent assessment. One I have already packed ready to be posted to a lad I met who makes kitchen furniture and was very interested when I showed him a prototype many months ago. The other one I would like to send free of charge preferably to someone on the forum in the UK who is struggling with the mirror problem. This isn’t a scam all I want in return is either a good or bad assessment of my effort. Regards Alan. alan_111@hotmail.co.uk

Not sure if you seen this thread, but this is one of the other alignment tools that you will be competing with.

My K40 story[quote=“Alan, post:1, topic:89979, full:true”]
The first time I was aware of the K40’s existence was around 2013. I was working on, Bio-it an invention and I wanted to add a logo on part of the prototype that was one eight inch thick Birch plywood. In my research I had watchedYouTube videos on electric branding irons and the K40. The branding iron would need to be made to my design and would take several weeks to arrive were as the K40 could be delivered free of charge and would arrive in a couple of days. Although money was tight and the K40 was a lot more expensive than the branding iron, I reasoned that getting the invention patented and starting to repay some of my considerable investment in time and money was the best option. Oh!! How wrong can you be.

Now began my months and months of upgrading of the K40, I was locked in. So I needed to keep spending and upgrading it to prevent being electrocuted, blinded, poisoned by deadly fumes and the possibility of it burning down my shed and house.

Finally, a long time later the day dawned when all that was left to do was to align the mirrors. I followed the K40’s user manual, Laser gods and K40 laser’s instructions in turn over several sessions but I didn’t manage to get the mirrors aligned. So I gave up on masking tape.

I then came up with a simple alternative which comprised of a couple of squares of 18mm plywood, magnets, two batteries and a low powered laser. I stuck a piece of masking tape over the laser exit hole in the K40 cabinet. Fired a laser pulse through the tape. Lined up my very crude invention with the laser strike hole, switched the low powered laser on. With this set up I was able to align the mirrors in around fifteen minutes. From that very Heath Robinson beginning over time has evolved the OneShot laser alignment system.
I Have now made a small batch, eight and would like to begin to sell them. But I would like some honest independent feedback before I invest any more of my time and money in OneShot. My plan is to give away a couple in return for independent assessment. One I have already packed ready to be posted to a lad I met who makes kitchen furniture and was very interested when I showed him a prototype many months ago. The other one I would like to send free of charge preferably to someone on the forum in the UK who is struggling with the mirror problem. This isn’t a scam all I want in return is either a good or bad assessment of my effort. Regards Alan. alan_111@hotmail.co.uk
]

I get making the hole with the laser but how does attaching it behind the hole/tape also align the red diode in X and Y to the beam off mirror #1?

When I made my combiner mount( Improved K40 laser cutter Combiner Mount for red dot laser by DOugL - Thingiverse ) I also made a test plug to get things squared away so we knew the X and Y offsets so the red laser reflected at the same point as the CO2 beam but still there needed to be fine tuning to get the red beam to follow the CO2 beam. plug thing here: K40 laser cutter Combiner Mount Test Plug by DOugL - Thingiverse