My DIY CNC project - started installing the Gantry Looking more like an CNC

My DIY CNC project - started installing the Gantry

Looking more like an CNC milling machine :slight_smile:

Next I have to adjust/align the x-axis before I can install the Z-axis

Exiting :slight_smile:

Have not decided yet, but I may use a LinuxCNC setup.

Fire it up!

@Paul_Frederick Soon I hope

@Oyvind_Amundsen when you go live with a CNC machine is what separates the rookies from the pros. Because pros get things running first. They run axis while they’re building as an aid in the construction process.

Rookies on the other hand will put a whole machine together, put the electric on it, then fire their machine up. That doesn’t always go smoothly either.

Then when trouble strikes the panic sets in. Meanwhile pros have been monitoring things closely the whole way through. So when they’re done they have a very good idea what things are really like. As they’ve seen bits work incrementally the whole time.

Plus the whole point of a CNC machine is stuff moves. So the sooner you get it moving the better.

I plan to start testing when I have installed the two Y-screws.

@Oyvind_Amundsen You can set a machine up dead axis, but it is a lot easier with them running. If you’re going to use LinuxCNC you’d be smart to register at the website, and join the IRC channel too. Because they’ll get you over any initial bumps. I mean those are the people that maintain the software, so they know it pretty good. They certainly helped me out with some details that initially confused me. For the most part you can get instant support in the IRC channel. Someone is usually there that will walk you through anything.

Like any sophisticated software LinuxCNC does take a bit of getting used to. Once you’re going with it, it seems simple enough to me. But there are a few arcane configuration procedures to get to that point. Forks in the road where it helps to have someone point the way.

Looks good. Very similar to the one I built a few years ago using 80/20 extrusion, THK rails and NSK ballscrews.

@Jim_Fong This one is based on 90x90 and 90x45 Bosh rexroth profiles combined with 20mm Bosh Rails
Hope it is going to be ok

@Oyvind_Amundsen should be fine. 20mm rails can handle significant loads. I used 15mm on mine, which is plenty. A single 15mm carriage block handles 5kn load and there are four per axis!

Nice :slight_smile: great job

Have decided to stay with the Pokeys for now (already have the Pokeys57CNC) so I do not have to wait for a new controller + getting/build a Low Jitter computer for the Linux CNC…
When I have learned more about CNC software/hardware, I may consider replacing the controller if the result is a better machine/end result.