MoBeam Controller

Completed most of the mechs on the controller packaging for my laser diode project [MoBeam].
Attached is a peek at the progress prior to wiring.

Last time I built a controller I had wished I had used a DIN rail. This time I did.

This design has 3 identically fabricated bent acrylic frames that snap onto a DIN rail along with a DIN 12V supply.

Each frame is modified for its particular purpose.

Each module has a specific function and all of the electronics, user controls, and interconnects for each module are self-contained. Each can be built and tested standalone. Parts within the module can be removed without soldering.

You can unplug and remove any module in the set. You can easily add a module for expansion.

Wiring schema allows this design to be connected to an existing wiring harness. I.e.remove the stock controller and replace it with this.

The unit is temporarily mounted to a hunk of wood for testing.

FRONT VIEW

REAR VIEW

TOP VIEW

CONTROLLER MODULE Using a MiniGerbil

POWER CONTROL MODULE Local and remote controls of evacuation fan ,air assist pump, laser power & switch interlocks. 12V fusing, 12V-5V converter, 12V and ground routing.

AC INPUT MODULE: Input switch, plug, fuse, and AC routing.

7 Likes

It looks like you realy like bending acrylic :laughing:

Don’t you have a K40 to cut boxes?
Would be much faster and more precise.

The bending process is very fast and accurate enough.:slight_smile:
I cut the material on my table saw then heat the bend area and bend it over a wood mandrel.
Much faster than CAD design + troubleshoot CAD design + set up machine + cut. All the modules are the same size. Fewer fasteners and very strong after bending.

3 Likes

I usualy use online box makers like https://en.makercase.com/ to quickly design boxes.

2 Likes

Turned out really professional looking!

Well done!

1 Like

Completed the Power control module wiring.
First time ever I wired most of it using bent enameled solid copper buss wire.

Why, I thought it would be neat, rugged, and cool-looking.

5 Likes

I like the curved edges… how thick is that acrylic?

:smiley_cat:

It is 1/4 ". Hope to get this controller installed after the holidays.